Interest in new book/ social club?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
new to sydenham

Interest in new book/ social club?

Post by new to sydenham »

Hi

I'm new to Sydenham (having moved here on my own) and am looking to meet like-minded people for company/ friendship - it's really hard to meet people in London!

I'd like to set up a book club in Sydenham for young professionals (to discuss a variety of books), somewhere we can meet for a drink/ chat on a regular basis at weekends

If anyone is interested please let me know, or if a similar club already exists please point me in the right direction!

Thanks

Zoe
stuart

Post by stuart »

Welcome to Sydenham Zoe!

There is an existing reading group which may be worth checking out whether they are like minded enough. Details from Geraldine at the the Kirkdale Bookshop.

The public library near Home Park also has reading groups AFAIR.

Stuart
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Hi Zoe

Welcome to Sydenham.

Hopefully the reading groups that Stuart has suggested will be what you're looking for, but if not the newly refurbished Dolphin (see http://www.thedolphinsydenham.com/ if you haven't yet had an opportunity to visit!) might be a good place for a new group to meet. I'd certainly be interested.

Richard
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Hi there

I'm part of a small reading group that meets once a month in Domali in Crystal Palace. It is very informal and an opportunity to read a good book and catch up for a drink and a chat.

Details are here:

http://forum.virtualnorwood.com/index.p ... topic=2942
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

biscuitman1978 wrote:Hi Zoe

Welcome to Sydenham.

Hopefully the reading groups that Stuart has suggested will be what you're looking for, but if not the newly refurbished Dolphin (see http://www.thedolphinsydenham.com/ if you haven't yet had an opportunity to visit!) might be a good place for a new group to meet. I'd certainly be interested.

Richard
I definitely remember the Dolphin people saying they were keen for reading groups etc to meet in the pub.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Never been to a book club myself, but it sounds interesting. I might like to join if they start one somewhere like the Dolphin.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Personally I wouldn't want to join another book group, as I have enough trouble discipling myself to read the books for my other group. :D

But I'd be quite happy for an informal meet up in the Dolphin, it's always nice to get to know a few more people in the local area.

I'm trying to learn to knit at the moment (hey, it's very popular with the youngsters these days you know :wink: ) so I'd join a knitting group! :lol:
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Hello Zoe,
I've been thinking along the same lines i.e. starting a book group to meet in the Dolphin - a good excuse to go there, if nothing else. I'm sure there's room in Sydenham for more than one group so we wouldn't be competition for the others. I have several friends locally who are also interested. Please send me a message and we can talk about it some more. I'm keen.

Liz
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

... actually, I'd be quite interested in a knitting group too!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

If someone can teach me how to crochet that would be good. I tried to learn off the internet - impossible!
thebackster

Post by thebackster »

Crochet isn't really for me, but I'd be interested in meeting some of the 'young professionals' that reside in Sydenham.

Does anyone know of any good social type clubs nearby? It sounds like the Dolphin could be a new place to start!
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

Me and my boyfriend were only saying that we would like to join a book club... but never seem to have time to actually read a book!

If it was meeting in the Dolphin I could also be keen as it's my local so would have no excuses!
.. if you decide on it, please post the details on the website - we have recently bought in Sydenham and are young proffessionals who would like to meet more people who live in Sydenham too!
CAJT

sydenham book group

Post by CAJT »

Hi Zoe
Did a book group get off the ground after you started this message board? I'd be very interested in joining it if it exists. Please let me know any details.
Thanks, Christy
user100

Post by user100 »

Yes, the book club for 'young professionals' did get off the ground.

Unfortunately the whole thing was thrown into disarray when it was gatecrashed by an 'old amateur'.

Not sure if it was the 'oldness' or the general unprofessionalism that was the worst aspect of the whole sorry episode.

Some people said it was the smell.

:lol:
misscaroline

book club

Post by misscaroline »

Hi,,

Any joy on this? I'd be interested but probably not as an evening thing at the weekend. Maybe an evening midweek or a Sunday lunch once a month... Let me know if you get any interest.
misscaroline

Post by misscaroline »

Ok, so bit slow on the update - only just read the whole of the bookclub / knitfest exchange.

So, people like the Dolphin. And they like the idea of a book club.
But the old amateur threw a spanner in the works.

Any chance of trying again. A splinter guerilla group. Surely the old fragrant amateur knows who he is and will have the decency to retire gracefully.

I'm new to this lark and something of a technophobe so not sure how things work but wouldn't it be worth having another go?

p.s. I'm 33 and I don't smell (badly)
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Sounds good. I think we should make this happen. With the Dolphin's new garden nearly ready we could sit the smelly ones down wind.
Everyone a winner. :D
user100

Post by user100 »

I have to put my hand up - that was just an attempt at humour by me :twisted:

Just teasing about the concept that something should be confined to young and 'professional' people - e.g. it cracks me up when people advertise for 'professionals' as tenants, i rent a flat to some non-professionals and they are good as gold. I have no reason to believe a so called professional (in other words anyone who works in an office instead of being a builder, chef, bus driver) should be a better, more decent or more interesting person than a 'non-professional' person.

Anyway, don't want to hijack this thread, hope you get a nice group of people together for your book club.
Zmonk

Post by Zmonk »

Hello,

I've just moved here too and would love get to know some local people...

A book club sounds great but anything social for the many young professions all moving in to the area!

Let me know how it progresses,

Zoe
biscuitman1978

Starting the ball rolling...

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Perhaps someone needs to stick their neck out and suggest a date and time to meet! How about 8pm in the Dolphin on Tuesday 1 May? We can put some faces to usernames, and those who are interested in book clubs, film clubs and knitting/crotchet clubs can sort something out.

How about it? And by the way, I hope people will come along regardless of whether they are young or old, 'professional' or otherwise!

Richard