"so people build c--p.”

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

Re: "so people build c--p.”

Post by Rachael »

Any chance of moving this to the Pub?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Ofcourse all people should be treated with respect. That is not the point.

We have a large army of unemployed unskilled workers who are a drain on everyone else yet we import workers from Latin America do do these jobs. I am not saying these people are not nice. Cannot believe any would be legitimate AS'kers from LA , as not sure of any really bad governments . If there were we cannot take everybody.
We will never get these poor people employed if we let anyone in to undercut them
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote:Ofcourse all people should be treated with respect. That is not the point.

We have a large army of unemployed unskilled workers who are a drain on everyone else yet we import workers from Latin America do do these jobs. I am not saying these people are not nice. Cannot believe any would be legitimate AS'kers from LA , as not sure of any really bad governments . If there were we cannot take everybody.
We will never get these poor people employed if we let anyone in to undercut them
I agree with this very valid point Eagle. :)
I have said the same many times on this forum, not that we shouldn't employ imported
workers at all, but that we have this large army of unemployed ourselves that we cannot
afford to pay for for ever and ever. We need to get our unskilled and skilled unemployed
back into work by having some sort of fair controls over this situation.
Imported workers may be good for the profitability of the employer but often at a cost to
the British Tax payers in many different ways. No controls at present to make this fair!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks for your support Bradford.
I thought there were rules against people from South American countries working here without a permit which should not have been granted for non skilled work.
The employers should be heavily fined and workers returned home.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Pub, now!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Rachael wrote:Pub, now!
Come on - I've got Chrissie Hynde on the juke box!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rachel

A lady desperate to get into a Pub!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Au contraire, a lady desperate for you lot to all bugger off to the Pub (virtual or actual, I don't mind) and leave this section of the forum to its intended purpose.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Eagle wrote:Rachel

A lady desperate to get into a Pub!
Am I the only person on this forum to have noticed that Rachael spells her name thus, not 'Rachel'?

Sorry, just off to the pub, honestly!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

You can stay, Robin.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Apologies also for my not spelling your name correctly. Shame on me.
ariana.p.newham

Post by ariana.p.newham »

14BradfordRoad wrote:I thought there were rules against people from South American countries working here without a permit which should not have been granted for non skilled work.
Hi, I'm not an expert in the area but I can tell you what my experience was as I'm from Latin America. When I applied for my work visa about 7 years ago, I had to do it under something called the 'highly skilled migrant programme'. You needed X amount of points to get it and these were awarded based on your qualifications/education (so obviously if you had a Master degree, PHD etc you'll be given more points), previous earnings, UK experience (did you do any studies here for example) and age (so the older you were the more points you needed to get through the previous earning category for instance). From what I remember this wasn't exclusively for Latin Americans but rather for anyone from non-EEA countries (European Economic Area).

You also needed to prove you had a really good level of English if this wasn't your 1st language by taking a test (and you needed a higher score than the one asked for in Masters and PHDs if I remember rightly). You needed to have sufficient funds to support yourself and if you got the visa you weren't entitled to State benefits.

I went through this about 7 years ago, I think the name has changed but the principle of the points remains. It wasn't new when I did it either, I think it started a few years before. How effective the programme has been/was in attracting and letting in the kind of people wanted I couldn't tell you. But I don't think someone from Latin American (and quite a few other countries) could come to the UK to do unskilled work these days, I think this has been the case for a while.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Rachael wrote:Au contraire, a lady desperate for you lot to all bugger off to the Pub (virtual or actual, I don't mind) and leave this section of the forum to its intended purpose.
I quite agree. As a newbie to the forums I have noted that at times the discussions seem to develop into a "virtual pissing contests"
- who has the most refined vocabulary
- who has the greatest eloquence (actually more like masturbating "tee hee" with words)
- I'm tempted to throw a virtual bucket of water over your overheated egos
Hopefully you will take this in jest.....peace and goodwill to all.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Well put Rod although I thought my description was a tad funnier....then again!

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

ariana.p.newham wrote:
14BradfordRoad wrote:I thought there were rules against people from South American countries working here without a permit which should not have been granted for non skilled work.
I went through this about 7 years ago, I think the name has changed but the principle of the points remains. It wasn't new when I did it either, I think it started a few years before. How effective the programme has been/was in attracting and letting in the kind of people wanted I couldn't tell you. But I don't think someone from Latin American (and quite a few other countries) could come to the UK to do unskilled work these days, I think this has been the case for a while.
Thanks for explaining Ariana. You are an expert (by personal experience) compared to
myself. :)
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Steveofsyd wrote:
Rachael wrote:Au contraire, a lady desperate for you lot to all bugger off to the Pub (virtual or actual, I don't mind) and leave this section of the forum to its intended purpose.
I quite agree. As a newbie to the forums I have noted that at times the discussions seem to develop into a "virtual pissing contests"
- who has the most refined vocabulary
- who has the greatest eloquence (actually more like masturbating "tee hee" with words)
- I'm tempted to throw a virtual bucket of water over your overheated egos
Hopefully you will take this in jest.....peace and goodwill to all.

Interesting observation Steve! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum, and nothing wrong with a good laugh from time to time!