Handbag, coat and car NOT stolen in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Have you NOT been the victim of a crime in Sydenham?

Yes, I left my car unlocked and it wasn't stolen.
9%
Yes, I left my door/window unlocked and wasn't burgled.
36%
Yes, I walked home late at night and wasn't mugged.
36%
No, I am unlucky and have been a victim of crime in Sydenham.
18%

Total votes: 11

Juwlz

Handbag, coat and car NOT stolen in Sydenham

Post by Juwlz »

Since the forum has attracted some bad news lately I thought I'd post some good news for a change. :lol:

I woke up this morning and couldn't find my handbag, and then I suddenly realised I'd accidentally left it on full display in the back seat of our car. I rushed out to look and luckily it was still there this morning, along with my coat which I also forgot.

I don't want to advertise my address but this non-incident occured on a street off Wells Park road.

I also once left my car unlocked for a whole week without it being taken.

Should I take these non-thefts as an insult? :wink

I have added a poll so that anyone else who has been fortunate and NOT been the victim of a crime in Sydenham despite their own reckless behaviour can vote NOW.
DaveT

so far.....

Post by DaveT »

6 years or so in Sydenham...

1. left car unlocked for a few days, still there..

2. left back door unlocked over a bank-holiday weekend, nothing amiss

3. left windows open at the front of the house when out the back, d'oh..

4. walked home from London bridge all the way to Sydenham at 02:00ish (seemed like a good idea at the time), no troubles

5. left the front door open - for a few hours whilst out back - only intruder was a rather curious cat...

seen a few fights, police arrests, some bloke being chased by police ending up in our back garden, (blokey was very polite & apologised before hopping back out again , police were a little less so... )

!

scarily enough - this has just made me realise just how many "stooopid" things I've done and gotten away with... Time to pay a little more attention me thinks...

DT
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Mrs Castiron and I kept leaving our car unlocked, carrying the children in late at night etc. Must have done it dozens of times with no problems, but sadly a few months ago our stereo was stolen, along with my coat. Thankfully my house keys weren't in the pocket.
The only nasty crime we experience is someone who keeps keying cars all along the road. Apparently the police are making headway with it.
simon

Post by simon »

Ten years in Sydenham and not been a victim of any crime, except car keyed five years ago. Habitually leave car unlocked and back door open when out etc.
Seen all sorts of trouble in Sydenham Road over the years (euro 96 Dolphin mini riot was memorable) but apart from the Mayo Road seige a couple of years ago, nothing to write home about.
Had minor altercations with youths with attitude problems, but they soon saw the error of their ways.
On the whole we feell quite safe here.
Juwlz

Well done, keep up the good work.

Post by Juwlz »

Excellent work from all those who have replied so far... exactly the kind of replies we are looking for.
I'm loving the sound of this mayo road siege.... :o
simon

Post by simon »

The Mayo Road seige was actually a pretty big event for around here Juwlz. A car was stopped on Sydenham Road by the newlands park lights and one of the occupants, who was armed, fled down the road and ran into the hostel next to Smiths showroom. All the roads were closed off and armed police took up positions. A hostage was taken and a two hour stand off followed. Eventually the hostage was released and then the guy gave him self up, not before shots were fired at a parked car opposite. Police helicopter overhead, roads closed and people could'nt get to their cars. At the end of the day no one was hurt and the police handled the situation very well. No idea what happened to those arrested.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Blimey, how terrifying. :shock:
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

how do i take part in the poll?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Well that'll serve me right for trying to start a 'good news' thread. 2 kids just broke into my car and tried to hot -wire it! Luckily a neighbour saw them at it and they ran off. Not right away mind you - they carried on banging away at it until the neighbour actually walked right up to the car! The bare-faced cheek.

Oh well - pride comes before a fall as they say.
simon

Post by simon »

Hey Juwlz, sorry to hear about that but I guess you were "asking for it" after starting this thread. I wonder if the miscreants viewed this board.
Seriously though, I have noticed a number of vehicles have been robbed of their stereos in Mayo Road, Sydenham end, recently. Hope they dont find their way down my street.
leaf

Post by leaf »

Hi Julwz

Sorry to hear about that,i suppose it goes to show that things like that are simply random and can happen to anyone anywhere.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

simon

Well, as to the ridiculous suggeston that I was 'asking for it' - I can't even be bothered to defend against. My car is an obvious target for joyriding kids because its an old banger. That's the only reason it was picked on.
Anyway - I have now decided that I am acutally lucky, because the car is still in perfectly good order - the door was already a bit knackered and I hadn't bothered to get it fixed so no big expenditure there. I would've been gutted if the car had actually gone - a few minutes later and it would have.
So I am counting myself lucky that I have vigilant neighbours. A bottle of wine will be going to the alert neighbour who frightened the criminals off!

P.S. - leaf - thanks for your sympathies. You are completely right of course.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

And another thing…

The police came out straight away - followed ten minutes later by the forensics who took a load of fingerprints. I was pretty impressed by the response.

The forensics lady then had to rush off to a car in Mayo road that had its window smashed in...

I asked her if she thought there was a lot of this sort of crime around here and she said no... the odd car here and there but hardly any burglaries.

Thats not an invitation to burglars by the way. I have nothing to steal so trust me yo'd be disappointed. I buy all my clothes in Primark, my car is worth 20p. and the most expensive bit of jewellery I have is worth about 30 quid.
simon

Post by simon »

Hey Juwlz, was being "ironic" when I said you were asking for it, honestly, only joking.
Interesting what the forensics lady said and I was pretty impressed a few years a go when I reported someone trying to steal a scooter. The police arrived after 40 mins, with the delay due to the fact they had been out looking for a car that matched the description I gave them.
Another ting is that theives seem to target older vehicles. About five years ago my neighbours had their Fiat Punto stolen from outside their house. It was parked behind my Punto, same model, same colour, but mine was new and theirs was five years old. You would have thought they would have taken the new one.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

simon

yeah - sorry for my sense of humour failure! I'd say you're right tho, cos no-ones ever tried to nick my car before and I've had it about 7 years. Its obviously 'old' now and those little tykes were just trying to put it out of its misery. :wink: