High Street Wishlist

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
hairybuddha

Re: High Street Wishlist

Post by hairybuddha »

M&S might offer a healthy alternative to take-away eating, but that's something which could equally be provided by a decent independent deli.
Agreed. Though of course there's no reason why the two - nice deli and M+S foods - need be mutually exclusive. Healthy competition and all that.

I can't imagine many people are desperate for the kind of identikit high street that you describe but, then again, the addition of a Pret and one or two others besides would be an improvement on the current offering.
jonathan_har

Post by jonathan_har »

I agree that our whole food store is good, but the shop front and display is crumby and does the shop no favours at all. To those wishing for a bike shop, until we get one there is an excellent one on Penge High St - SE20 Cycles. It's a really good shop, it has a kids and adults cycle club associated, Penge CC cycle club, and the owner Winnie is the nicest guy you could meet.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
ksyd

Post by ksyd »

.............. a Poundland please......................................... with a Banksy of course........

..............close Sydenham Library ....................... and turn it into a youth centre.............

..............open a library in the Greyhound....... a library in the high street would be used more?

..............a retro amusement arcade with space invaders, pacman , pinball etc...................

..............a community "Living Room" where people can meet .......................................
Loobus

Post by Loobus »

A cheesemonger
A deli
A family friendly pub like the actress or the Florence where children are welcome to roam and there's lots of space for buggies and perhaps even a soft play/games area
A decent wine merchant
Some vintage shops
A cycle surgery/runner's need type place
An ice cream parlour (I hear there used to be one)
A picture house cinema would be shamazing
:)

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I will have to try these guys out, but this looks interesting:
http://delinene.com/gallery/

A Turkish coffee bar that is cool and is child friendly with a cool looking family room which is geared towards Children's parties combined with a deli!

It's in 'Even Lower Sydenham' (aka Bekenham).

'Wish you were here'.

Anyone else know of a business that they 'wish they were here?'
Magnoliatree

Post by Magnoliatree »

We really need a decent deli and cheese shop and yes, a lovely wine merchants would be great. A couple of good boutiques might be a wish to far at this stage (thinking of Lordship Lane). Also an upmarket gift/card shop (like Jumping Bean in Honour Oak)would really brighten things up as well. A lovely Ice-Cream parlour (Cherry &Ice) has just opened up. Unfortunately, Tesco Express will also be opening yet another store soon on the previous Two Halves Pub site. This would have been prime location for Waitrose, M&S Food, Pizza Express, I could go on.... We really need a decent chain to attract more business to the high street. At the opposie end of the wish list, we do not need any more betting shops / shabby pound stores / money shops etc. These only drag high streets down and Sydenham High Street has a lot to offer. I remain optimistic. Let's remember that Lordship Lane used to be a real dump.. now look at it !
NSid

Post by NSid »

I just noticed today 'The Lovely Gallery' sign on the shop where 140 Interiors used to be- the sign looks great- anyone know any more?

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's an art gallery, the artist bought the whole building. They are on the artists trail. That's all I know!
NSid

Post by NSid »

That's exciting- thanks Lee