Shopping development

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
kingveddah

Shopping development

Post by kingveddah »

Hi all - just found this site - really pleased there is a place for us to communicate and share views - I wanted to know if anyone knew about the new shopping complex and when it is meant to open and anything about the road works around there. Seems like they are trying to do something but not sure what - I imagine there will be an increase in traffic etc?
Blushingsnail

Re: Shopping development

Post by Blushingsnail »

Do you mean the large retail units at Bell Green, next to Sainsbury's? The construction work was delayed for quite a while so I don't know when it's due to finish or which stores are going to be there. Originally B&Q and Next Home were among the shops due to open but that was from plans a few years ago so I don't know the latest. (Does Next Home still have bricks & mortar shops?)

This was the list but I think it's a few years old and I don't know if it's been updated:http://dtz.completelyretail.co.uk/index ... me&id=6273

I don't think there's any plans to change the roads.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yes, Next Home do have large units in retail parks - there is one in Croydon.

The construction work has been progressing well for the past six months or so. The road works are 'improvements' but I don't know if they'll make any difference to the flow of traffic as they just seem to be rebuilding the existing islands and pavements.

It was very interesting on Friday afternoon when the lights at the back end of Sainsburys were out. No queues of traffic, everyone just took their turn. Seemed an improvement on having the lights operational, except for pedestrians, possibly.
yummymummy

Post by yummymummy »

hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

It would be absolutely marvellous if they redesigned the road system round there. The one-way system is an abomination. I'd settle for it being resurfaced at least.
kingveddah

Post by kingveddah »

Seems that they have been working for ever but no real changes to the road layout as yet - seems the shopping development is coming along fast - which one will finish first tho...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Why would they change the road layout?
simon

Post by simon »

I agree with Rachael. I was also coming back from Sainsburys on Friday when the the traffic lights were out and everyone got through fine. I probably civilly waived Rachael through with an "after you" hand gesture. The windscreen washers soon wiped the blood of the pedestrians from my windscreen.
The one way works, IMO, but the temporary light phasing onto Perry Hill is causing all sorts of havoc. Not enough time and with the approach from Sainsburys down to one lane and buses using it, it takes ages to get out of there right now.
Localman

Post by Localman »

The contractors look to be progressing well with the road resurfacing and signalised junction widening now in full swing at Bell Green. At the recent assembly meeting the contractors explained that services diversions by utility companies had taken almost a year but were now complete.

Both the road improvements and the new retail park are due to complete in June.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's interesting that Bell Green is getting new paving etc, by one set of contractors and Sydenham Road from Mayow Road to Cobbs Corner is getting remade by another set of contractors. I hope they will be visually sympathetic. Feeling rather sorry for the rest of Lower Sydenham now, the pot-holed jam in an otherwise smart sandwich.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Whilst not a fan of so called retail parks I do hope any visitors will use Public Transport or walk.
It is terribly sad how the motor car has taken over some peoples lives.

Surely LBC should have insisted parking charged at the going rate at the so called retail park.