Is Silverdale safe?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pinky

Is Silverdale safe?

Post by Pinky »

Hello, new poster here. I am considering moving into a flat on the corner of Silverdale & Bishopsthorpe Road. The flat is very nice but I am a bit wary of the alley leading from the station to Silverdale, and the giant blocks of flats on Silverdale regarding potential noise pollution when the weather gets warmer. Now I've discovered this forum and immediately found several posts about muggings and robberies, specifically on the corner of Silverdale & Bishopsthorpe Road, so now I am worried I am making a mistake. Some of these incidents seem to be from the end of 2011 though, and I know areas in London can change very quickly, so can anyone help with advice and experience of what the area is like now? I am a single woman and need to feel safe coming back from the station in the dark.

thanks for your help!
bensonby

Re: Is Silverdale safe?

Post by bensonby »

It's pretty much as safe (or as dangerous) as any other part of London. Yes, there have been the odd mugging there - but then again there have been muggings all over the place.

Personally, I used to walk along Silverdale into Bishopsthorpe regularly to get from the station home. I did it whilst growing up and into adulthood - as have my two sisters (who still do). I did it at all times of the day and night and in various states of intoxication. Neither myself nor anyone from my family has ever had a problem to my knowledge.

That's not to say one shouldn't keep one's wits about you and apply some common sense that would apply anywhere - such as not having your valuables in display, keeping your handbag crossed over your body etc.
maverick

Post by maverick »

Agree. Sydenham as safe as anywhere. I actualy find it a very safe area to live in. Simply stay street wise as we must in a large city. Sydenham on the up so they say,starting to show,so yes. Move in.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree. No where is or has ever been 100% safe. But Silverdale is as safe as most places,

I find people are not aware of potential dangers when walking alone. They are either on an expensive phone or listening to Rolf Harris on an i pod ( whatever that is ).

You MUST pay attention at all times when alone on the streets.