St Christophers Hospice

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
fishcox

St Christophers Hospice

Post by fishcox »

Again, apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but did anyone know that St Christophers is, in effect, closed, due to Legionnaires Disease?

From my limited knowledge, someone (a cleaner?) caught Legionnaires, so the hospice was closed, in order to trace the source,and begin what is usually a very long and painstaking process in replacing pipework etc.

I like to think I keep my ear close-ish to the ground, and cant believe I missed this - its been closed for three months, I've been told.
Eagle

Re: St Christophers Hospice

Post by Eagle »

Very sad. I know from personal experience what a wonderful place it is.
I hope it gets sorted out soon.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote:Very sad. I know from personal experience what a wonderful place it is.
I hope it gets sorted out soon.
Yes, a truly amazing place. One of the best ever I believe.

With the correct controls put into place hopefully it shouldn't take too long to get under
control. As in the link Robin has posted it is mainly down to patients weakened immune
systems that this is such a big problem for them.
Having limited knowledge and training myself (via work) I can understand how all pipework
and water heating systems would have to be brought up to the latest high standards. The
Health Protection Agency will quite rightly insist on this before they re-open.
Maria

Post by Maria »

It may seem from the posts that St Christopher's has been closed while important refurbishment and replacement of all pipework is taking place. While this is certainly being carried out at present, there is great life at St Christopher’s with many on-going activities in the care of patients taking place in their homes, in the Hospice itself and in wards of Lewisham Hospital.

With the weather finally showing signs of spring - even if just occasional glimpses - you may want to go for a meal or a snack at the glorious Anniversary Centre with the wall to wall French doors to the garden. If, for example, you pop in on a Monday evening you will hear a wonderful choir while you eat a huge pizza; if you fancy a curry, then Tuesday night is the night for you and you can take your own wine. etc. As a volunteer at the centre I can testify that life there just could not be busier. .... and what a fantastic place it is for our community!

To find out what happened:
http://www.stchristophers.org.uk/news/i ... %E2%80%99s

To gain an update of progress so far:
http://www.stchristophers.org.uk/news/news-update