second pedestrian light by Sydenham station

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
hairybuddha

Re: second pedestrian light by Sydenham station

Post by hairybuddha »

Where did I say that no one travels by car in Copenhagen? Or that no one should travel by car in London? The difference is Copenhagen would not allow the car to dominate a place like Lewisham the way we have.

If we had 26% modal share for bicycles in this country our towns, cities and lifestyles would be transformed for the immense benefit of the population at large. That doesn't mean no one can drive.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

80 posts on a second pedestrian light. Not sure what that says about Sydenham or The Forum.

I agree that priority should be given to sensible pedestrians .

Maybe they could turn The High Street , from Slatters to Cobbs as Buses and disabled vehicles only. This would certainly do wonders to the shops etc and speed up the buses.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Public transport, emergency vehicles and access only. Otherwise dick's boiler would be in trouble.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
dickp

Post by dickp »

I'm sure the residents of Penge, Jews Walk, Kirkdale or Forest Hill would love that plan, not to mention the employees at Sainsbury's Savacentre. Let's displace all that pesky traffic onto your roads instead, and keep Sydenham High Street in splendid isolation. A vote winner for sure.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Dickp
There are certain people on this forum who attack jobs at the likes of Sainsbury as non jobs as bad payers. In that case cannot imagine any of them having a car . Numerous bus routes to Bell Green.

Forest Hill cannot take any more traffic. There are just too many cars in an area not built with the car in mind.
People who choose to live in inner London should adapt their life style to be non car. Simples.

Easy start would be to ban or charge for all pavement parking. This could be major revenue earner and think how many new wardens they could employ. Winner all ways.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Dick - I've already addressed the issue of traffic displacement on this thread. It's a straw man argument. You haven't answered my question from my last post.

These measures are not anti-car. They would make the high street a better place. Surely that's a vote winner? Why would you oppose that?

dickp

Post by dickp »

London's roads are busy for around 4 hours per day during weekdays, and slightly more so at weekend. Outside rush hour, they are under no pressure whatsoever.

Oh, and in answer to the Copenhagen question, transport decisions are usually related to the size of the conurbation (how long between business centres); geography (hills versus flat); geology (can you build tunnels etc); population density (at what point does public transport become viable / needed); age of buildings (were they built with cars in mind). So simply believing that Copenhagen is some kind of anti- car paradise a) fails to account that it factually isn't and b) the factors mentioned above.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

All the more reason to reconfigure them around the needs of people then, surely? If we only need all that capacity for 4 hours a day, let's give some of that space back?

I'll ask again, what good does all that through traffic do for Sydenham?

hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

When did I say Copenhagen was an anti car paradise? Stop twisting my words.

85% of all car journeys in London are less than 6 miles. 30% less than 2 miles. These are distances that are easily cyclable/perfect for public transport. So the demographic/geographic arguments don't stand up.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

HB
You say 30% of journeys by car for less than 2 miles. You mention a number of alternatives but fail to mention feet.
Most people can walk 2 miles in 30 mins and of course many journeys are a lot less.

May also help to get some weight down.
dickp

Post by dickp »

As someone who walks around 30 miles a week, it would be easy to condemn someone for driving two miles or less. But you try lugging paving slabs from Catford Wickes. Or a large bag of manure from the local garden centre. Could you do it on public transport, or on foot? Maybe, just about, if you we're super fit, and were happy to make multiple journeys. Would you? Don't be stupid. You'd jump in the car.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

And I don't propose to stop anyone from making such journeys dick. Once again you are twisting my words and putting up straw man arguments. I use a car when I go to the garden centre for compost. I use my bike or walk when I'm popping out for a small shop or making a relatively short journey across town. I use public transport for longer journeys.

dickp

Post by dickp »

I'm ducking out of this thread. I think the reasons why are self-evident.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Eagle wrote:Dickp
There are certain people on this forum who attack jobs at the likes of Sainsbury as non jobs as bad payers. In that case cannot imagine any of them having a car . Numerous bus routes to Bell Green.

Forest Hill cannot take any more traffic. There are just too many cars in an area not built with the car in mind.
People who choose to live in inner London should adapt their life style to be non car. Simples.

Easy start would be to ban or charge for all pavement parking. This could be major revenue earner and think how many new wardens they could employ. Winner all ways.

So why don't you just move away to a suburb or town which is pedestrianised if you feel so strongly about it? After all, you suggested that those of us who travel vast distances in our cars should live near motorways. Pedestrianise Sydenham Road and the effect will be the immediate loss of a five figure per annum income from what I spend in just one shop, to which I need access with my car in order to load it with their goods. Remember that's ONE shop and ONE customer. As far as my general shopping, banking and eating out requirements are concerned, start charging me to park my car and I'll simply drive to areas where it is free to park, Sydenham Road will not see a further penny from me. Your "winner all ways" comment is surely somewhat flawed?
stuart

Post by stuart »

dickp wrote:As someone who walks around 30 miles a week, it would be easy to condemn someone for driving two miles or less. But you try lugging paving slabs from Catford Wickes. Or a large bag of manure from the local garden centre. Could you do it on public transport, or on foot? Maybe, just about, if you we're super fit, and were happy to make multiple journeys. Would you? Don't be stupid. You'd jump in the car.
Done routinely in Copenhagen and even Yorkshire (check out the blogs). All it needs is a Cargo Bike. I wish I had one to do it in Sydenham. Except the road network, particulary the new layout around the bridge, would make it lethal. Which is a shame as I'm well over 60 and I guess you haven't witnessed Copenhagen's cycling grannies who could give me another twenty years. If you couldn't manage it then fine - get a disabled badge :wink:

Dick you are just not making sense. I came from out of London have a car and a motorbike but don't bring your country views to a very different environment. The main problem in London for cars IS CARS! The only way car driving is going to get any better is for car owners to use them more selectively. You could start with the school trip. Again, except for the disabled, almost entirely unnecessary.

Obviously appealing to your better nature is unlikely to work. Which is a pity 'cos that means forcing people by economic or other means. Or should we just give in to ever increasing yet unnecesssary grid-lock at huge expense to the economy and a healthy life.

Stuart
love-sydenham

Post by love-sydenham »

The second crossing at the end of Venner Road opposite the Station Approach was always meant to be there... and so it is stated on the original plans....
Please find the link below.

Ps. Personally, I am very pleased! And I could not wait until the day when they will start to operate...
I Used them to cross the street this morning on a way to work! It's made my day, as I did not have to jump under the the cars or wait until the gap in tragic, or someone will let you cross the street, seeing the desperation on your face to get to the station on time. (And just to let you know, I always leave home with plenty of time to get to the station.... So, this will save you time on a comment like: "Leave earlier")...

I think that you will find this set of lights will carry more people from/to the station than other two from ither sides. When ever I cross it there in the morning/evening there are always plenty of people waiting to cross...

Ps. Have a nice day!

http://www.sydenhamtowncentre.com/2012/ ... s-phase-1/

maestro

Post by maestro »

Now then, here's my current dilemma. I need to go round and discuss my order with said store to ensure they'll have it all ready for Thursday. But it's currently lashing down. So do I trudge up Sydenham Road and turn up there in twenty minutes looking like a drowned rat, of do I jump in the car and pamper my posterior with my heated leather seats whilst massaging my ears with a couple of tracks from that super CD I bought at the weekend? Plus I can always chuckle at those thoroughly miserable looking faces peering out through the steamed up bus windows. Decisions, decisions!! :lol:
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

maestro wrote:Now then, here's my current dilemma. I need to go round and discuss my order with said store to ensure they'll have it all ready for Thursday. But it's currently lashing down. So do I trudge up Sydenham Road and turn up there in twenty minutes looking like a drowned rat, of do I jump in the car and pamper my posterior with my heated leather seats whilst massaging my ears with a couple of tracks from that super CD I bought at the weekend? Plus I can always chuckle at those thoroughly miserable looking faces peering out through the steamed up bus windows. Decisions, decisions!! :lol:
If you want to make the journey quickly I suggest you don't take the car - It was bumper to bumper when I was out earlier (walking) :wink:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

hairybuddha wrote:
maestro wrote:Now then, here's my current dilemma. I need to go round and discuss my order with said store to ensure they'll have it all ready for Thursday. But it's currently lashing down. So do I trudge up Sydenham Road and turn up there in twenty minutes looking like a drowned rat, of do I jump in the car and pamper my posterior with my heated leather seats whilst massaging my ears with a couple of tracks from that super CD I bought at the weekend? Plus I can always chuckle at those thoroughly miserable looking faces peering out through the steamed up bus windows. Decisions, decisions!! :lol:
If you want to make the journey quickly I suggest you don't take the car - It was bumper to bumper when I was out earlier (walking) :wink:
Might be quicker, but not drier.

Admin - is it time to split this thread? Most of the discussion has nothing to do with the new traffic lights anymore.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rachael wrote:Admin - is it time to split this thread? Most of the discussion has nothing to do with the new traffic lights anymore.
I was going to. But that was before it became the most popular thread in a long time. No way am I going to get in the way of a decent row. More, more ... nobody's yet mentioned mobility scooters storming our pavements :)

Admin