NABORHOOD CENTRE

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

NABORHOOD CENTRE

Post by leenewham »

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned this. The Naborhood Centre has been covered in scaffolding and has undergone a paint job (finally). It looks as if the decorative brickwork that was on the building has been removed ready for the new, larger decorative element.

The mosaic is being attached to the building, part of it is already installed, which you can just see if you look closely.

I wonder what the final cost was? It's a few grand worth of scaffolding and another £500 to get permission from the council to put up the scaffolding of course. It's been a monumental effort to raise the considerable sum of money to produce this which should be applauded.

Whatever you think of it, it will be up soon. Images of the design are still in the Jill Hub if anyone is unsure what I'm talking about. I'm still not a fan by any stretch of the imagination, the money could have funded so much more than just one building, and I still think it's the wrong artwork on the wrong building, but, alas, it's a debate not worth having again because it cannot be changed!

I wonder what the users of the Naborhood Centre think of it and the name change?

Anyone know when the trees will be installed in front of the Naborhood Centre?
dickp

Re: NABORHOOD CENTRE

Post by dickp »

I also wonder if the budget will stretch to new, or at least, clean and "well-hung" (f'narr f'narr) curtains.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Maybe the curtain/blind shop opposite should donate some new window dressing. They could get the publicity in the local paper and in the centre etc.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
mosy

Post by mosy »

I noticed today that "something was going on". Late to the party: What will be the new name? If I did know, I've forgotten... Ta. Can't wait to see the finished roundels fascia. At least I'll be able to crane my neck up to look at it without tripping over dodgy paving now that's been done 8)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's a few grands worth of vertical blinds. It's a big ask of the curtain shop. But it would be nice.

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

You're probably right....
By the way are they removing the Parisian type of poster thing as I really like it. It could be used to promote what's happening in Sydenham and also a map of places of interest.

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I'm told that it is hoped that the mosaic will be informally unveiled within the next few days. A formal unveiling is planned for later.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

When I spoke to Valerie & Bob I thought they said it would be in a few weeks.
marymck

Post by marymck »

At the last night's assembly, I think Valerie said it would be unveiled in a few days. I may have misunderstood though.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

On the subject of the assembly - I was up wells park road yesterday evening to see a number of cars parked on wells park road obstructing the bus stop (I presume attending this meeting) - is this the way it's going to be going forward? - not ideal!

Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Passed it just now and I must say I thought it looked absolutely fantastic - light, bright, clean... I even liked the mosaic, which I'd not been sure about. All told I think it's a vast improvement and a credit to the high street.

Presumably now it has been rebranded "The Sydenham Centre", the plastic "Naborhood" sign can soon be consigned to the bin/history/the raging fires of Hell where it belongs? Other than that and giving the downstairs curtains a good wash, I really think that it's turned out very well.
scarpetta

Post by scarpetta »

I agree with hissing syd. The Sydenham Centre building now looks far better than previously. I do however hope (and I know this sounds rather petty) that they remove the curtains on the ground floor they really don't do any favours to the building. I'd rather have no curtains/blinds than the horrible dirty and disgusting curtains which ruin the 'new look'.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well, I'll be the first dissenting voice - I don't like the mosaic, although it's not quite as twee as I thought it would be. It's lovely and shiny now but as soon as those tiles get grubby and the grouting goes grey it's going to be pretty dismal. The muted colours look quite subtle now. I don't think they will wear well.

I'll be happy if I'm proved wrong.
mikej

Post by mikej »

You may be right Rachael, but right now the building is looking great - such an amazing improvement! Will all add to the improvement of this area.

(But not unless they put in some cycle parking AND SOON!)
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

(Now 'Sydenham Centre'.) I was at the official unveiling of the mosaic - by Cllr Chris Best and one of the day centre users - this afternoon. There are guides to the individual roundels attached to the wall, but you can also read about them here. http://sydenhammosaic.weebly.com/roundel-history.html
coll

Post by coll »

I overheard someone saying that this project was estimated at a cost of £15,000 but ended up costing £50,000. Is this true?
If so who paid for it?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

According to the website and the plaque on the wall -
The Sydenham Mosaic was made possible by generous support from: Chris Best; Hilary & John Jarrett; Valerie Kelly; Emma Jane Mallinder; Mann Estate Agents; Richard & Dan Crowley of Property World; The Shackleton Foundation; Robert Side; S.G. Smith Motor Group; Mr. & Mrs. L.A.P.Swann; Sydenham Assembly of London Borough of Lewisham;The Sydenham Society; Tesco; Whites Pet Centre; R.Woodfall, Opticians of London. We are also grateful for generous support and donations from many within our community

The cost was £50,000 which, we were told today, was precisely on budget.
Last edited by Robin Orton on 13 Jul 2013 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

coll wrote:I overheard someone saying that this project was estimated at a cost of £15,000 but ended up costing £50,000. Is this true?
If so who paid for it?
No. The estimated cost was £50K, and £15K sounds like the amount contributed by the Sydenham Assembly (actually, a bit less than that), with the difference to be accounted by various bits of community fund raising, including one anonymous personal donation of £10K, I believe. Other donors include the Ernest Shackleton Trust, and sponsors such as Woodfall Opticians and Whites Pet stores. I don't know if final accounts are available, or estimates of on going maintenance costs.
biscuitman1978

NABORHOOD CENTRE

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Hissing Syd wrote:Passed it just now and I must say I thought it looked absolutely fantastic - light, bright, clean... I even liked the mosaic, which I'd not been sure about. All told I think it's a vast improvement and a credit to the high street.
Yep, I agree. I wasn't keen on the idea of a mosaic, but it looks much better than I expected, so well done to those who led and implemented the project.

Still not sure about that cat, though... :wink: