Security on trains and stations

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Thomas

Security on trains and stations

Post by Thomas »

I read about the act of violence at West Dulwich earlier this week, details in link below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6381543.stm

I would not want to scaremonger and I acknowledge that such attacks are relatively uncommon, but I am very much concerned by this, and would like to canvass views as to what could be done to prevent future attacks.

In particular, does anyone know if there is a rail users group that could lobby the rail operators and the police (both the Met and the British Transport Police) to improve security, for example by clamping down on beggers and by providing guards on trains and on platforms? Just who are the people that we should be lobbying, and what is the best way to do this?

Does anyone have any other practical ideas that could make a difference?

Practical suggestions only please!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I've spent a lazy Saturday afternoon surfing the internet and have discovered that South Eastern Railways, who run the Victoria - Orpington route, have a "meet the manager" session - as you can see from the link below the next one is on 1st March, between 8 and 10am at Victoria station.

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/ma ... age_id=295

I think this is the sort of thing I was looking for so will go along and air my views, and it would be great if I was not the only one and that the company got a clear message from passengers (or should I say customers?) that tighter security is of high importance. I'll try to give some sort of report back to the forum in due course. I have to admit that I'm not expecting too much but surely it can't be too expensive to have a couple of PCSOs on the trains (running only every half hour with 4 carriages) in the evening?
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

When the East London Railway starts (latest June 2010) and TFL takes over, all stations along our line will be staffed until the last train arrives in the evening.

Not quite the police protection we may be looking for inside and outside the station (and it's still 3 years away) but a step in the right direction at least.

The Oyster card system which will be introduced in 2009 mean gates and barriers at every station which will also help a bit more with security.

In my experience Southern and South Eastern trains will not do a jot more than they are required to do in their franchise. So stations are unstaffed after 8pm at the latest.
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

TfL have issued a press release about Ken Livingstone’s recent visit to Southern’s security centre and what marvellous things TfL have been doing on station safety and security improvements: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/ ... ?prID=1068

It’s the usual TfL puff piece about how wonderful the Mayor and TfL are, how many millions they’ve spent (without saying what they’ve spent the money on), and how mean-spirited some of the train operators are. The most informative section is the ‘Notes for editors’ at the bottom, which includes the following:

“One of the highlights of the safety and improvements is the Streatham Hill Control Centre. It is operated by Southern, whose staff can now view, via CCTV, all 50 of their suburban London stations. It was opened in March 2005 and it is staffed 24/7. TfL invested £3.83 million in the Southern CCTV scheme. The centre is in direct contact with the British Transport Police.”

And for any of you Southern-bashers out there, the release says that Southern was “one of the train companies that has worked most closely with TfL to boost security”.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

It's really a question of whether you think that Southern or TFL are going to give us better security at Sydenham station. Look at the facts:

1. Southern do not staff Sydenham station after 8pm; TFL will.

2. Southern were one of the two franchise rail companies most opposed to the introduction of Oyster cards at suburban stations (which would have brought extra security via gates apart from Oyster's other obvious advantages); TFL had to impose all types of pressure to make them reluctantly relent.

3. Southern refused to spend a penny on Station Approach which until recewntly they owned; TFL are spending £2m on Sydenham Road some of which will be used to provide better approaches in Station Approach, extra lighting and security cameras.

4. Southern have scrimped and saved at Sydenham and have refused to provide things like extra shelters on the up platform. They had to be bullied over a number of years to open the gate on the up platform and provide a larger gate on the nearside despite the fact that they were told repeatedly that the small gate was a safety hazard; TFL will immediately spend approx £300,000 when they take over Sydenham station - including a widening of the up platform.

I don't think that Southern are an "evil" company. They are no different to Connex, Govia or any of the others who have run our local station previously. But they all have to make profits and security and passenger safety often takes a back seat. After all, what's the point of staffing stations after dark when there is very little chance of selling tickets and making money.

Give me TFL any day.