Travelling by Southern trains on Sunday?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Checkmate

Travelling by Southern trains on Sunday?

Post by Checkmate »

Although trains between London Bridge, Sydenham and East Croydon are not affected, there are extensive engineering works taking place, planned at short notice, somewhere between Victoria / Clapham Junction / East Croydon, resulting in big reductions in the normal Sunday service. If you are heading south of Croydon by train (GATWICK) you need to check out the Southern website.

http://www.southernrailway.com/southern ... ay-2-june/
admin
Site Admin

Re: Travelling by Southern trains on Sunday?

Post by admin »

Thanks CM.

I updated the Weekend Works yesterday based on the published stuff by TfL, Southern and Southeastern: http://sydenham.org.uk/travel/

TfL had no trains running to Crystal Palace because of engineering works but Southern apparently did and no other changes that directly effect Sydenham. Southeastern were also clean. What do you think is really happening between here and CP?

Admin
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Sometimes the nature of the engineering work required means that trains can still run over a section of track but at reduced frequency. If works are taking place between Syd and Crystal Pal, then six trains per hour (2x Southerns per hour London Bridge to Vic and 4x LOROLs per hour Higbury & Is to Crystal Pal) might be too many, but lose 4 of them and you can get stuff done in between.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Checkmate wrote:Sometimes the nature of the engineering work required means that trains can still run over a section of track but at reduced frequency. If works are taking place between Syd and Crystal Pal, then six trains per hour (2x Southerns per hour London Bridge to Vic and 4x LOROLs per hour Higbury & Is to Crystal Pal) might be too many, but lose 4 of them and you can get stuff done in between.
Well in the event London Overground forgot to tell their drivers not to go to Crystal Palace. The service was running with some disruption.

This weekend (Sunday 9th) London Overground may have got it wrong again. They say that after 8am there will be services running to West Croydon. Southern say they won't and have laid on buses. I think I am going to believe Southern.

LO Services to/from Crystal Palace will be disrupted before 8am by the late opening of the New Cross Gate to Highbury & Islington link.

Southern services to Tattenham Corner will terminate at Purley.

See: http://sydenham.org.uk/travel

Admin
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Southern trains were running on Bank Holiday Monday. At Norwood Junction I boarded a train going to East Croydon and ended up at West Croydon. There was a mass exodus as everyone left the train and had to make their own way to East Croydon to continue their journey. Even the driver looked surprised!!
gerry

Post by gerry »

As confirmed by LO, trains will run between Highbury & Islington and New X Gate after 08:00am on Sunday.
For New X Gate to Crystal Palace/West Croydon, there will be no service. (bus replacement will run)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gerry - its not that simple.

I got their email alert yesterday which agreed with you. I based the Weekend Closure report on what their website says - which is the opposite. They don't seem to be talking to each other. Guess the drivers just make it up on the day!

This is organised chaos for the second week running. I think I will have a word.

Admin
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

what I thought I saw this morning was that services would not run first thing on Sunday morning but would run to New X gate from H&I after 08.00, and onwards to West Croydon and Crystal Palace from 09.15.

which kind of implies that for most of the day services will be ok - doesn't it?

here is what TFL journey planner currently says
No service between Highbury and Islington and New Cross Gate until 0800 Sunday 9 June due to track work. Valid rail tickets will be accepted on local buses via all reasonable routes.

No service between New Cross Gate and West Croydon due to Network Rail track work. Valid tickets will be accepted on replacement buses.

Bus service: London Bridge - Queens Road Peckham - New Cross Gate - Brockley - Honor Oak Park - Forest Hill - Sydenham - Crystal Palace - Anerley (also for Penge West) - Norwood Junction - Selhurst - West Croydon

No service between Sydenham and Crystal Palace on Sunday 09 June due to Network Rail track work. Valid tickets will be accepted on replacement buses.

Bu service: London Bridge - Queens Road Peckham - New Cross Gate - Brockley - Honor Oak Park - Forest Hill - Sydenham - Crystal Palace - Anerley (also for Penge West) - Norwood Junction - Selhurst - West Croydon

No service between Surrey Quays and Clapham Junction until 0915 Sunday 9 June. Valid rail tickets will be accepted on local bus routes.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep TfL has updated the info and map on Service Updates since I sent a stinging email this morning They read emails?

Let's see if they can get it right next week ...

Admin
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

we had to get back from Liverpool st at 7pm on Sunday - TFL journey planner suggested a tube to Farringdon, a train to Herne Hill, train to Penge East and then a 75 bus. We decided that wasn't such a good idea, as it goes into zone 4 and we'd pay more, so walked to Shoreditch High St, got on an overground train to New Cross Gate, got on the 171 towards Catford, got off at the bottom end of Brockley Rise, and walked down Cranston Road home, and got back marginally quicker.