Deadline approaching in battle to save The Windmill

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
simono

Re: Deadline approaching in battle to save The Windmill

Post by simono »

There is a wonderful obsession with 'good quality ales' making all the difference to the profitability of pubs. Whilst this is clearly the case for food, I am afraid good beer (which I do drink where possible) does not make the difference as sadly most people to many people still like mass produced lager.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am not sure people actually like mass produced lager. It is tasteless , nothing to like.

All evidence points to a revival of niche craft ales. London now has over 45 breweries. About 10 years ago it was 3.
The same is happening all over The Kingdom. May it long continue.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Most of the real success stories of recent years have been the pubs selling great ale. Many do indeed also sell good food but it's the quality range of beer that makes people travel that bit further to spend their money there. Of course some bars are doing well selling mass produced lager but it's not the lager that youngsters are there for, it'll be the DJs, vibe, cheap deals, etc and that can quickly change as they're a fickle bunch.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

BJ

You hit the nail on the head re Quality Real Ales. Discerning drinkers travel for a good beer and tend to be people who have not got to watch the pennies.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

& atmosphere.

People go for many reasons and it depends on the pub. Just selling decent ales isn't the magic button. Finding a market and creating your own niche, slender as it may be, is key. I got to pubs for ambience. It's what pubs are best at. You can buy most ales in your local supermarket. Why drink them in a pub/bar, it's more expensive. The answer? Because you love the place. It's the experience of the bar, the people, the decor, the smell, the feel.

We are not rational, the reason we go to pubs/bars/restaurants is emotive.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes however lovers of quality ales by their nature create lovely pubs.

Of course communal drinking is the thing. Cannot recall last time I drank at home.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I don't drink at home either.

I to to pubs to meet friends and have a chat, or to have some time out with my beautiful wife and kid and have a family lunch, or to have a meeting with a client.

Having a selection of good food or drinks or being family friendly or events dictate which pub I go to at different times. Last week I met a client who came over from the USA and we went to a few pubs in the city, which was great. I really enjoyed it but only drank lime and soda all night. It was amusing seeing everyone getting progressively more drunk while I was sober.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

You're right that the ambiance of a venue is important. Great pubs frequently also have knowledgable and friendly bar staff too. I love the beer in Beer Rebellion, Catford Bridge Tavern and the G&G but they always make me feel valued too.

I don't agree with the ales at home option though. Even the best bottled beer is not a patch on draught ale and the pub has an important place in a tight successful community.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

For those of you on twitter one Keith Flett goes to various real ale pubs and samples various beers and gives a running commentary about flavours and stuff.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

If you go to some of the bars and pubs around Shoreditch you will find that they all do a great selection of IPAs and special beers/ales and decent wine (a good thing as it takes ages to go off so won't waste).
They are packed with young and older people enjoying them.
What they do also offer is a great selection of "bar food" , not a full menu but things like wings, sliders, calamari, potato skins. It allows them to manage with a tiny kitchen and offer quick service so as to not disappoint.
Nothing ruins a pub than over ambitiously trying to be a "gastro" and ending up serving awful meals that take ages to be served and cost the earth.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
parker

Post by parker »

Can't wait for Sainsbury's!

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If dreaming of a local Sainsbury is your thing then you must have a duller life than me.

All support to Mary and her great work to save the community. Yes Parker community , does that mean anything to you.
parker

Post by parker »

Community? A shit hole to congregate in or a successful business that actually knows what it's doing... You don't have to mention Mary to back you up.

parker

Post by parker »

I have more banter about Nectar points in the Sainsbury's Local near my work than I do with some of the **** behind the windows covered with Crayola in the Windmill thank you very much.

----
Edited by Admin for language
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Scum Parker ???

People have been banned for less.

You must be tolerant to your fellow citizens .
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Eagle wrote:You must be tolerant to your fellow citizens .
Eagle wrote:Get rid of the gypos
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
parker

Post by parker »

As much as I greatly respect Eagle's opinions,, if STF did Facebook 'likes' this would probably be one of the best 'likes' in the world.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

As , I assume , they do not pay council tax , I do not consider they are citizens.

Perhaps they should decamp to Hall Drive or Longton Grove , where they will be welcomed with open arms.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Parker

You have a go at me , which is your perogative , but you have not apologised for refering to the patrons of The Windmill as
Scum.

Must admit have not been in the establishment for some time . I assume you have so would give you the benefit of the doubt.

Whole point is Mary wants to up grade the area , which would involve the departure of some of the drinkers. The Dolphin did it. Who recalls the customers before the make over. They were not remotely like todays clients.