New McDonalds for Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
pip

New McDonalds for Sydenham

Post by pip »

Eagle

Re: New McDonalds for Sydenham

Post by Eagle »

Sixty catering jobs. How many will be taken by non nationals I wonder.

Certainly good news for those who get jobs though not sure good news for Sydenham and our obesity problem.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Fine with me. Bit of investment and some jobs to the High St. McDonalds also pretty good at helping to clean up the streets after their customers. Not something that all of our fast food outlets could be accused of.

Eagle - What is your issue with non UK nationals getting jobs there? Presumably these people would be either EU citizens or immigrants with permission to work in the UK?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Not on the high street, though, HB. It's going to be at Bell Green and looks like a restaurant plus drive through.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Rachael wrote:Not on the high street, though, HB. It's going to be at Bell Green and looks like a restaurant plus drive through.
Whoops, didn't see that, thanks for putting me straight.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I am a bit confused. H&S would not allow Adamsrill School to temporally use the Livesey Halls because it was too near the gas holders yet they allow the permanent location of Happy Meals just as near. Have they also no care for the fluffy ones at Pets-R-Us?

Stuart
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Stuart I am confused as well. I recall the whole site when it was the Gas Works and it was not very nice but thought it had been cleaned up.

Hairy B. Of course would rather these unskilled jobs went to British Nationals. What is wrong with that.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I think that's pretty positive to be honest - I dont see what all the fuss is about McDonalds.

You can hardly blame McDonalds for the obesity problem - to the best of my knowledge they dont put any sort of addictive substances in their food, so the responsibility lies with the consumer (so to speak) not to over indulge.

I find them very handy when I'm hungry, and have £4 spare.
michael

Post by michael »

Why can't more threads be turned to discussion of immigration? I'm sure a saw a few crept in last week without Eagle bringing up the subject yet again. This mustn't be allowed to happen again.
stuart wrote:yet they allow the permanent location of Happy Meals just as near. Have they also no care for the fluffy ones at Pets-R-Us?
I didn't realise Pets-R-Us did Happy Meals but I imagine they are a great source of protein as well as being extra fluffy.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Despite my loathing of fast food outlets in the main , I do take the issue of entry level employment very seriously .
HB I realise there is an element of playful Eagle teasing ( like trout tickling? ) in your question about foreign nationals but I would turn the question around to you : why would you not want local young people to enter the job market ahead of migrant labour who would do the same given the chance ?
One if my great bugbears with the globalisation debate is that the liberal perspective ( and I cast no aspersions at your good self here ) usually cannot distinguish between employment strategy and foreign aid , as long as nobody with an investment in Britain actually gets a job .
I realise I am probably being a bit priggish for a Friday but we do need to accept that as the cuts get deeper we risk increasing disengagement if our own young people unless we can help everyone to find and keep jobs .
On a brighter note at precisely 850 pm I will enter Tasty Fish Bar in Newlands Park and emerge with two cod and a large portion of chips - and I can't wait!
A very good evening
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Nigel. Sound comments.
Seems we are only ones to speak up for British unemployed.

I have not tried that fish shop. After your recommendation must give it a try.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote:Thanks Nigel. Sound comments.
Seems we are only ones to speak up for British unemployed.
And why not?
Employing our young is one of the biggest problems we presently face (not forgetting housing).
Is it suddenly tabboo to mention it?
A new McDonalds will bring job opportunities, hopefully for British youngsters (There I said it)! :wink: :wink:

Nothing wrong with the occasional Big Mac (My personal favourite).. :D
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

There's a difference between saying you hope a new business give jobs to British people (young or otherwise) and hoping it doesn't give jobs to immigrants. Let's not twist this around.

MacDonalds can only give jobs to those who apply and who are suitable. If British nationals apply, they have as much chance of getting a job as an immigrant worker.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

EUSSR wrote:"If British nationals apply, they have as much chance of getting a job as an immigrant worker."

dont bank on it
Why? Is there positive discrimination against British workers? In an industry where wages are set and transparent, what difference would it make to the employer where the employee came from?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Bradford

I do not think I said they should not employ foreign workers. I think I said , or meant to say , I wonder how many jobs will be taken by UK Nationals.

There could be unintended discrimination against UK workers in some places. I have noticed in Coffee shops now the managers tend to be from outside UK. Again no problem with this but I wonder if unintentionally they give preference to their own nationality. I have NO evidence of this and only a thought.

I am sure if this argument was in Lyon , Madrid or Athens people would be saying their nationals should get preference on the labour market.

Someone said British people will stand equal chance if they apply. I sincerely hope they all apply in the area, otherwise job center should be asking them some very hard questions.
pip

Post by pip »

Anyone remember the Wendy Burger in Lewisham. I think there was one by Charing cross station as well.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Eagle wrote:There could be unintended discrimination against UK workers in some places. I have noticed in Coffee shops now the managers tend to be from outside UK. Again no problem with this but I wonder if unintentionally they give preference to their own nationality. I have NO evidence of this and only a thought.
I guess you missed the article in the Evening Standard a few years back in which this was discussed. Now, that did relate largely to central London, and I can't remember specific details, such as which companies were interviewed, but I do remember that some managers said they'd struggled to find British applicants who were prepared to start work sufficiently early in the morning (bearing in mind that these places sell breakfast-substitutes, and have to be ready and open in good time to capture the early-morning commuters), whereas other Europeans/foreign applicants were more amenable to doing so.