Mayow Road vet

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
hazy

Re: Mayow Road vet

Post by hazy »

catfordlad wrote:
Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel....
nope, no idea what you are trying to say here .......
simon

Post by simon »

Apologies Catfordlad; I really didn't know there was an issue about unwanted small mammals, but I do now. Thank you for enlightening me.
I defended Whites on the grounds that I always found them friendly and helpful, but you obliviously didn't. As I understand, they brought back the animals because of customer demand after the previous owner dropped them for reasons you would agree with.
I think they are good local business which cares about animals and contributes to the local community. They find it very difficult to compete on price with the supermarkets so offer good customer service.
essuu

Post by essuu »

MT4 wrote:We've recently got a couple of kittens and are looking to get them registered at a local vet. Has anyone ever used the one on Mayow Road? Would you recommend it?
We use them for our three cats and would recommend them. Always friendly and helpful.
MT4 wrote:On a side note, does anyone have any genius ideas for helping indoor cats stay cool during this hot weather?!
I saw a suggestion on Celia Hammond's Facebook page to put water into a hotwater bottle and freeze it, then put it down and cover with a towel. They'll sleep on it or near it if they're hot. (https://www.facebook.com/celiahammondanimaltrust)

Simon
MT4

Post by MT4 »

Thanks for the tips everyone! We've booked an appointment at Mayow Vets :)

Delighted we've got a bit of cooler weather over the weekend, even if it's only temporary
doyle29

Post by doyle29 »

I recently registered at Mayow and have taken our dog twice but won't be going back.. It's very rare I complain but I will be contacting them shortly with my comments,
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Sorry to hear that you're not happy with the vet. Not sure why you've posted that information here, though if you haven't complained to them directly yet. I would have thought 'naming and shaming' a local business on a forum would be a last resort, not the first.

For what it's worth, I've been taking my pets to Mayow Vets for fifteen years and have never had anything less than excellent and caring service.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I agree with Rachael. In any case, saying publicly you're not happy with a local business without explaining why seems to me to be the worst of both worlds.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The only other time I've heard anything negative about Mayow Vets on this forum was around the time the new vet practice opened in Pets at Home, by a poster who was never heard from again. Make of that what you will.
Canal66

Post by Canal66 »

In my experience Mayow Road Vets has been consistently caring over the years, and able to get appointments at short notice, recently our Jack Russell was suddenly quite unwell in Mayow Park and the practice were very effective in diagnosing and treating within a few minutes of being called. The reception team are charming and the fees reasonable.
catfordlad

Post by catfordlad »

doyle29 wrote:I recently registered at Mayow and have taken our dog twice but won't be going back.. It's very rare I complain but I will be contacting them shortly with my comments,
What happened?
catfordlad

Post by catfordlad »

Rachael wrote:The only other time I've heard anything negative about Mayow Vets on this forum was around the time the new vet practice opened in Pets at Home, by a poster who was never heard from again. Make of that what you will.
Is that a dig at me Rachael? Shame on you if it is,

Fyi I am very busy so not able to spend my day on the forum. I also work full time.
catfordlad

Post by catfordlad »

Canal66 wrote:In my experience Mayow Road Vets has been consistently caring over the years, and able to get appointments at short notice, recently our Jack Russell was suddenly quite unwell in Mayow Park and the practice were very effective in diagnosing and treating within a few minutes of being called. The reception team are charming and the fees reasonable.
Well, all Vets should be caring as they are bound by a professional code of conduct but as for the fees that Mayow charge they really should be ashamed.

Mayow was taken over by new Management fourteen months ago and since then prices have rocketed resulting in pets suffering.

Vets4pets at Pets at Home in Sydenham is now open. I would highly recommend them.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Hi sorry for late response. Don't have much time these days...

I have used Mayow Vets for about 12 years or so now. In my opinion they are great. Tony Rogers explains everything so well. Amy too (not sure whether she is back yet) and, so have any of the others that I have seen. Reception staff are great too. They have looked after my 3 cats, sadly 2 have passed now, one due to age and the other due to cancer... :(

Yes, I agree that vets fees can be on the high side, but take out insurance - if you have a pet this really, really is important, and really shop around for that too. I wouldn't be without it.

As for keeping pets cool what I tend to do is, if I'm out for the day and so unable to keep an eye on her, draw the curtains everywhere and this helps a lot. It is nice and cool when you open the door! Also leave a couple of bowls of water. My cat has a big bowl of water in the kitchen and also some in the bedroom.

Hope this helps.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

catfordlad wrote:
Rachael wrote:The only other time I've heard anything negative about Mayow Vets on this forum was around the time the new vet practice opened in Pets at Home, by a poster who was never heard from again. Make of that what you will.
Is that a dig at me Rachael? Shame on you if it is,

Fyi I am very busy so not able to spend my day on the forum. I also work full time.
Not a dig, just an observation. I'm disappointed that doyle29 hasn't come back to explain his/her comment. If there is an issue with Mayow Vets that hasn't been dealt with properly by the vets themselves, then I'm sure we'd want to know. I don't like it when people post something like that and are then never heard from again. Anyway, it rang alarm bells, and I remembered your comments about both Whites Pet Shop and Mayow Vets coming at the same time as PetsAtHome opened. Apologies if it seemed like I was jumping to conclusions.

I've just come back from Mayow Vets with my poorly cat. Wonderful care, as usual. As I was waiting in reception, I overheard one elderly lady telling another how they had refused to charge her for a small service. So while their prices may or may not be high (I have no way of knowing as I don't go anywhere else), they seem to exercise discretion where they can. Don't know if a large corporate vet could do the same.

Mayow Vets are now open on Sundays as well. I assume they are feeling the competition from PetsAt Home on some level.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Mayow Vets also declined to charge us when they felt unable to touch our feisty little cat without first sedating her :)