Zebra Crossing outside Sydenham Station

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Do you think the Zebra Crossing at Sydenham Station is dangerous?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 13

Andwar

Zebra Crossing outside Sydenham Station

Post by Andwar »

I know this has been said before but I would like to resurrect the debate over the Zebra Crossing on the bridge by Sydenham Station.

Having moved to the area 18 months ago, I cannot believe that a Zebra Crossing was put on the brow of a bridge. While crossing here I have been nearly knocked over by a motorcyclist speeding up the outside of the queuing traffic. When I shouted at him all I got was two fingers back. Also it's too many to count the number of times that cars do not stop when someone is crossing here and it's only a matter of time before a serious accident happens.

If the crossing stays then it needs to be turned into a Pelican Crossing, Red Light means Stop, in most peoples book. Unless like most of the drivers I have seen they got their licence from the back of a Cornflake packet. I know the pavement is narrow but that’s a small price to pay for saving someone's life, isn't it!

The other option could be to install those dreaded humps other side of the crossing to initially slow vehicles down and then in-between the humps and the crossing what about cobbles.

Enough of me ranting and raving now and I only hope that the council see sense and do something about this issue.
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

I think the problem that you experience is not with the location of the crossing (albeit it is in a stupid place) but the fact that very few drivers could care less - motorcyclists, car drivers etc. As long as there is no red light camera, they can break the law with impunity!
kster

Post by kster »

A big part of the problem is that being on the brow of a hill drivers can’t see the stripes on the road as they approach. At the recent consultation exercise on the high street, Paul from Living Streets came up with a simple solution, extend the paint on the road by a few feet either side of the crossing.

Given that all the crossings on the high street are under review as part of the improvement process, I suggest waiting for those results (and to see if the funding is forthcoming) before starting a campaign to move the crossing. But if the council can be persuaded to put a few dabs of paint on the road in the meantime then that would improve the safety of the crossing.
Janeco

Post by Janeco »

As a driver rather than pedestrian in this area I agree with kster that it is difficult to see the crossing. Now that I know it's there I am always cautious approaching but it would be much better to put in a controlled crossing with traffic lights. Yes, some drivers drive too fast (they have just been in a queue for 15 minutes trying to navigate Cobbs corner roundabout although that's no excuse), but I think it's unfair of Raymondus to generalise - the crossing is not sufficiently well lit and cannot be seen until you are almost upon it. It's an accident waiting to happen. Anything the Council can do to improve the situation would be welcome.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Also coming to this from the point of view of a driver.

My problem with this crossing is one of light; at this time of the year with the low sun, it can be almost impossible to see either the crossing or people waiting to cross, and at night you get dazzled by the oncoming headlights with the same result.

Making it pedestrian controlled lights will just create even more havoc in the highstreet, so the only solution I can see is to move it further down the road, probably to the far side of the station approach road.
Jules

Post by Jules »

As a pedestrian and car driver I also can see both sides.

Pedestrians seem to forget that they too are meant to stop at a crossing before they step out, but far too many people see zebra crossings as an extension to the footpath and cars don't always see them in time. Yes, they maybe driving too fast or chatting on their mobile and you can point that out so them when your lying unconscious in the middle of the road.

As a driver and a local I know the crossing is there and always approach with care, as I generally drive at night, on-coming headlights can really blind your view of anyone who may already be on the crossing.

But whatever your grip. Remember, Pedestrians will always come out worse. So stop before you cross, don't take your eyes of the drivers while your on the crossing, look out for the nutters on the bikes and thank those who do stop, it's polite, remember.
Andwar

Post by Andwar »

While lying in bed last night I came up with a brilliant idea for the crossing.

What they should do is place a large speed hump about 25m before the zebra crossing to slow drivers down and then the road inbetween the speed hump and the crossing itself put some sort of cobbles down or rumble strips. This should slow any vehicle down on the approach and therefore be slow enough to stop.

Either that or move the crossing down opposite the old HSBC bank.