Sydenham under a new flight path?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
love-sydenham

Re: Sydenham under a new flight path?

Post by love-sydenham »

This morning is an incredible amount of planes!!!!! One has just gone another and another is coming straight after!!! Had to close the window.... :-( :'-(

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Moonpig

Post by Moonpig »

I agree- I was awake from 6am this morning and counted at least 6 planes in the space of 10 minutes!
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

ok, thanks - anecdotal points about there being 'a lot' of planes, but are there actually 'more'?
Is there any evidence (other than someone saying that they think there are more)

Are there records of flight paths, and frequencies, and quantities going back over the years to prove the point that there are indeed more planes flying over Sydenham?
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

The 'Annual passenger numbers' section shows the number of aircraft movements and would suggest we're only just getting back to 2007 traffic levels:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Heathrow_Airport

As to whether we're getting more overhead, that's debatable. I honestly haven't noticed any difference whatsoever since they moved the flight path but others have. If you've got the patience you can get an idea of where the filghtpath was on any given date using the replay facility in the top left hand corner of this:

http://casperflights.com/unified/?location=egkk
kateangela

Post by kateangela »

There has definitely been an increase in planes flying over our house and they are definitely flying lower. My husband has laughed at me a number of times because I keep saying that they are so low that I think they can see us in the garden. I am afraid I am a bit of a 'nimby' on this one.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

Just out of interest (and honestly I'm not being dismissive, I am genuinely interested) what part of Sydenham do the people who've noticed the increase live in? At the moment I'm near to Crystal Palace Park. I've always been under the flight path for aircraft turning into the southern approach. I'm just wondering if aircraft are turning earlier or later on to that final approach. A mile or so can make a lot of difference - people who previously only had the odd flight directly overhead may now be getting more (or less).
love-sydenham

Post by love-sydenham »

Dear JRobinson,
I guess your house isn't directly under the flight pass as ours, where planes are actually turning above us, as if it would be, I think you might have noticed the noise by now... as i said in my yesterdays post: I had to shut the windows to try to turn the noise down.... but if you are in the garden on a day as busy with planes as yesterday, it's another story ... !! I don't know whether there is an increase in them, but years ago it did not bother me much, but it surely does now!.....

Ps. Dear Mr. Sheen, the answer to your question is: Venner Road.

It was ok this morning tho...

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Funny thing is,I thought the planes noisier this morning from 5.30ish, I live near Crystal Palace park,(Sydenham end) .

love-sydenham

Post by love-sydenham »

Well, they might alternate then to give the residents a little brake, which is nice to know :-) :-)

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

They don't really bother me now I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn ;0))

JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

De Frene Road, directly under planes turning to join the inbound flight path from north and south.
I have noticed planes going over, but as I've only been here three years, I couldn't claim to say whether or not it's more or less. Obviously it's gone up over time, in the sense that all air traffic has increased (if we're talking decades) it's certainly going to be more planes now than 2003, or 1993, or 1983, etc, etc.

If HB can be like he is and demand evidence of any point anyone's trying to make, then so can I :P
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Good for you.

hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

JRobinson wrote:If HB can be like he is and demand evidence of any point anyone's trying to make, then so can I
Do you have any evidence to show that I am "like that"? How rude :lol:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

While the flight path might not have changed, and the frequency changed gradually, what I've noticed over the past year is that the planes coming over Sydenham are much lower. Also, the lower planes come over the right-hand side of my house, which they've never done before. The higher planes are on the more usual track.

The noise from the lower planes is loud enough to be startling - and it's not just in fine weather. I can also hear the dropping of landing gear and other 'manouevering' sounds which I've never noticed before.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

Rachael wrote:I can also hear the dropping of landing gear
If you can hear that over jet engines from 5000ft away your hearing must be bloody sensitive!!!
Last edited by Mr_Sheen on 5 Sep 2013 09:12, edited 2 times in total.
love-sydenham

Post by love-sydenham »

I hear that too, Rachael!!!

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I know I will get abused again but how many of the protesters against air noise have flown in last 10 years.

Lets be real. Planes make a noise. Most people ( not me ) use them.

What they seem to be saying is someone else should get the noise not me.
love-sydenham

Post by love-sydenham »

Dear Eagle,

I am not going to abuse you, but I am just going to say this: when we lived in Sydenham the first time around 11 years ago, the plane noise did not bother me.... When we moved to west London (Maida Vale) we had no planes what so ever in almost 7 years we lived there. So, when we moved back to Sydenham, we have really noticed the Planes! Several years down the line we are still not use to it. I don't mind train noise, it does not bother me, but the overhead plane noise - Does ...
If I'd knew then (when we were moving back to this area) that I/we will have this "problem", I/we might have not moved here.
But that's just me/us.

We are all different, and therefore different things affect us all in a different ways.

That's all!

sarahsyd

Post by sarahsyd »

We are in Wiverton Road. The increase we notice is also in low planes between 5am and 6.30am.

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Mr_Sheen wrote:
Rachael wrote:I can also hear the dropping of landing gear
If you can hear that over jet engines from 5000ft away your hearing must be bloody sensitive!!!
Have just been tracking planes overhead via Casper Flights (now that's a fun website!). One just went over at 5,000 feet and was pretty quiet. The noisy ones that went over this morning were MUCH lower. I'll try to track a few tomorrow morning and see just how low they are.