Sydenham under a new flight path?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JulietP

Re: Sydenham under a new flight path?

Post by JulietP »

We appear to be on one of the principal arrivals paths.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/static/H ... 012_hq.pdf
sarahsyd

Post by sarahsyd »

I have just received this email from Darren Johnson's office at the GLA:

Sent by Rachel Carlill, Green Group Support Officer, on behalf of Darren Johnson AM. Darren will be back at City Hall in early September.

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your message.  I have had a considerable number of complaints and have written to Heathrow as follows:

I am continuing to receive very regular complaints from local residents in South East London, particularly in the Lewisham/Greenwich area, about an increase in early morning noise nuisance from aircraft. While I am well aware that the "respite trial" scheme came to an end earlier in the year and that this had been a cause of considerable complaints, nevertheless the concerns have continued long after the scheme has ended. I would be grateful to know what Heathrow is doing to tackle such problems and look forward to your response.

My office is now urgently in the process of arranging a September meeting with Heathrow Airport's Director of Policy and Political Relations. I will update you on the outcome of this meeting.

Darren Johnson AM
Green Party Member
London Assembly
City Hall
Queens Walk
London SE1 2AA
020 7983 4388

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

JulietP wrote:We appear to be on one of the principal arrivals paths.

We always have been. That's from last year! :wink:
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Mr_Sheen wrote:

We always have been. That's from last year.
I know. I didn't say it wasn't. But given that we always have been under the flight path, and anyone living or moving here will know that, I'm a little confused as to what the problem is. Flight noise is part and parcel of living here: anytime my brother visits he sits in the garden taking photos of the planes - which have always come over every couple of minutes. I personally haven't noticed a big change tbh.

Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

I agree. I haven't noticed any difference. Dunno what the fuss is about.
aldd

Post by aldd »

Hi all - new to this forum but have joined to make comment about the plane noise - it is incessant and the planes are so low ! Such a contrast to the relative peace we used to have - am so annoyed having moved here from SW and the heathrow flightpaths out there. Can I encourage all those who are noticing it to complain via the email addresses detailed above, so that we can hopefully get them to reconsider the flightplaths.Thank you!

aldd

Post by aldd »

And I appreciate there has been light plane noise before, but the last few months have seen a HUGE increase - it has most definitely got worse - we have been here in SE26 for two years now and the contrast between 2011/12 and 2013 is stark.

wrightie

Post by wrightie »

Mr_Sheen wrote:I agree. I haven't noticed any difference. Dunno what the fuss is about.
The noise from each plane takes around 2 minutes to pass, a car around 10 seconds! This morning the drone started at 5:30 and continued almost unbroken for an hour! It's never been this bad!
JulietP wrote:
Mr_Sheen wrote:

We always have been. That's from last year.
I know. I didn't say it wasn't. But given that we always have been under the flight path, and anyone living or moving here will know that, I'm a little confused as to what the problem is. Flight noise is part and parcel of living here: anytime my brother visits he sits in the garden taking photos of the planes - which have always come over every couple of minutes. I personally haven't noticed a big change tbh.

You may not have noticed a change, but others have, well before this recent debate took place. The evidence is widely available, flight density over parts of London has increased in the space of a few years.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I do believe it is hypocritical to be upset by aircraft noise if you fly often

I admit to flying once this century and 4 times in total in 64 years. No intention of flying again.
sarahsyd

Post by sarahsyd »

Why is there an assumption that those who are complaining fly often? I fly very rarely (less than once a year)

It is clear that flight paths HAVE changed (as evidenced in previous posts), and some of us are disturbed by the noise.

I am pleased that the Green Party and others are lobbying Heathrow and hope that we can at least understand what has changed and whether these changes are permanent.

wrightie

Post by wrightie »

Eagle wrote:I do believe it is hypocritical to be upset by aircraft noise if you fly often

I admit to flying once this century and 4 times in total in 64 years. No intention of flying again.
For some of us this is a serious topic. I'm not upset by the noise, just the fact its increased an alarming amount since 2007.

I fly, I drive, I cycle, I walk, I'm a hypocrite on so many levels, there I've said it. Now troll elsewhere.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Wrightie

I am not a Norwegian so know idea why you are using the word troll. Remember the song 55 years ago . I am a Troll and I live in a Hole.
Believe on Uncle Mac's children favourites.

Of course it is a serious subject but that surely does not stop hypocrisy entering into the equation.

London Heathrow given us tens of thousands of jobs in our City. Many of its citizens use the airport. It is a major plus for London and a new runway should be given go ahead soon.

I personally have no intention of flying but like to be tolerant of others whose jobs and livelehood depends on air travel.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Eagle wrote:Wrightie

I am not a Norwegian so know idea why you are using the word troll. Remember the song 55 years ago . I am a Troll and I live in a Hole.
Believe on Uncle Mac's children favourites.

Of course it is a serious subject but that surely does not stop hypocrisy entering into the equation.

London Heathrow given us tens of thousands of jobs in our City. Many of its citizens use the airport. It is a major plus for London and a new runway should be given go ahead soon.

I personally have no intention of flying but like to be tolerant of others whose jobs and livelehood depends on air travel.
Err - I think that was a mole. I understand a troll is a fishing line with a hook and bait. Which apparently we've just taken. :)

Heathrow is indeed a big source of employment, to people who live in the area. The area near Heathrow. I used to live in west London - Ealing. Lots of people I knew either worked at Heathrow or had friends or relatives who did. But whether it's a source of employment or not, no excuse for such a rapid increase in noise and air pollution. I think it's a political move to encourage people to vote for a new airport elsewhere. The arms industry is a huge source of employment .... doesn't make it right. Anyway, whether you fly or not is beside the point. Veggies are shipped in by air - as are flowers. Terribly wasteful IMO.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

My day for apologies. I think you are correct Mary , though troll sounds better. Thought you were too young to remember such things.

I worked for years in West Londinium , mostly Hayes , which was totally dependent on the airport and logistics associated with the airport.

I know it is a touchy subject but I truly think the best option for the UK would be another runway at LHR. Trouble it is not a votewinner so need all parties to agree.
At present we are blessed with the most connected airport in Europe.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Eagle wrote:My day for apologies. I think you are correct Mary , though troll sounds better. Thought you were too young to remember such things.
Oh I am, I am. Ahem. :oops: Actually, it was Stewpot in my day.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

I actually don't really notice the planes...honestly...
Re the arguments for/against increased airports etc...the simple facts are that
1) many of the food items we have as "fresh" simply would disappear if we were limited to ships.
2) we would enter the dark ages as far as mail is concerned
3) no matter how much we'd like to, as a nation we have to compete with other countries and if we become insular we will lose billions in trade to our competitors and be forgotten rather quickly. We do seem to spend an awful amount of time wringing our hands about every issue. If the industrial revolution was to take place in Britain today....well lets say...it would probably newer happen.
All been said by cleverer people than me.

wrightie

Post by wrightie »

This thread clearly wasn't started in order to debate the merits or otherwise of Heathrow expansion, but to discuss the recent increase in aircraft noise, particularly early morning. Once again as there was no argument to be had, Eagle derails the thread for his own nefarious end. Posted in the Town Hall, its serious, please stay on topic! It may not be of interest to some, but it clearly matter to others!
alywin

Post by alywin »

I've recently noticed a fair number flying what appears to be roughly parallel to Sydenham High Street - northwards. Not sure whether it's any more than usual, or whether I've just become more conscious of them.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Is there actually any empirical evidence to support that assertation that there are more planes flying over Sydenham?

You might realise that this year our summer has been the hottest since 2006 - with long spells of warm weather people have been outside more often, and also have had windows open more often. Clearer air propogates sound better, (you can hear a plane you can see quite high up, if it's a clear day, but on cloudy days you wouldn't hear the same plane).

Each of these points means that we're going to be hearing more planes, and this will lead us to think that there are actually more flying over when in fact the number might be exactly the same.

just my thoughts on this, as I don't personally think that the number has increased (however I've only been in Sydenham for three years)
marymck

Post by marymck »

We have very extensive uninterrupted views from our bedroom windows, because our house is so high up the hill and we have quite tall windows. I often watch the planes at night.(Three in view as I write). I don't know where they're coming from or going to, but certainly many, many more than there were even a few years ago.

It gets quite scary at times, because the perspective means they look a lot closer together than they are really. Or at least I hope so!