Sports Direct is next in line to arrive in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Likelife

Sports Direct is next in line to arrive in Sydenham

Post by Likelife »

I'm young and never go in the shop, but according to their website Sports Direct coming to Sydenham - though it doesn't say when or where exactly its opening, they are hiring for managers at the branch. Toysrus has just started hiring and still no word on Next Home or Pets at Home but I guess its good for employment at least that more shops are coming here?
JulietP

Re: Sports Direct is next in line to arrive in Sydenham

Post by JulietP »

Oh joy. :?
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

JulietP wrote:Oh joy. :?
I don't see the problem. It's bringing employment and it's not putting any local sports shops out of business because there aren't any.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Inclined to agree with Juliet. However where as I will not be using any of the warehouse units at Bell Green , there is no doubt will appeal to a certain demographic , and who are we to deny them a place to hang out and shop.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

What's the demographic that you have in mind here Eagle?
Search East

Post by Search East »

Pros and cons really, but for me it's a plus. As a keen runner I can get running shoes, clothing at a cheaper price. Ok, forget good advise on the correct type of shoe for your running form, but hey ho.

The retail development has and will continue to be unwelcome by some, be useful and welcomed by others, the rich mix that is London. :)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

hairybuddha wrote:What's the demographic that you have in mind here Eagle?
That'll be the great unwashed, I should think, HB.

As I am quite scrupulous about my personal hygiene, I do make sure to roll in some mud and claim some benefits before I shop in these places, otherwise I assume I would be turned away as not fitting their demographic.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Rachael wrote:That'll be the great unwashed, I should think, HB.
Well, as an uber Liberal, I would never be seen dead around there. All my sports equipment, home furnishings, pet products and electronics are hand made in a vegan commune in Northumberland and are couriered to London by solar powered wooden carts.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Search East
Excellent runners shop, infact called Runners , next to Clockhouse Station. Friend comes from Blackheath to purchase there

Seems I am in trouble with using the word demographic , which others have used without question.

Simply means demographic of people who like spending hours in warehouse stores.

Whether they wash beforehand is completely up to them.

One positive more local jobs , as long as no local shops closing as a result.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

Eagle wrote:Search East
Simply means demographic of people who like spending hours in warehouse stores.
Would these be the retail hangar chavs you mentioned in another thread? :wink:
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Eagle wrote:Seems I am in trouble with using the word demographic , which others have used without question
The word "demographic" is completely neutral Eagle. It is your use of it that is loaded with innuendo.
Eagle wrote:Simply means demographic of people who like spending hours in warehouse stores
Do you have a particular type of person in mind? I bet you do. What about the "demographic" of people who just want to pop down there to pick up some items? Not me, obviously, see previous comment.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rod
You speak a lot of sense.

We do consume too many goods in this country. One of the reasons people often did not bother to lock their doors years ago because often nothing worth stealing.

Seems to me 90% of people I see have a smart phone ( and spend most of their lives staring at it). If people so hard up how can they afford such things.

I do not know what this new retail experience purveys , but from what I am reading mostly cheap products , made by very cheap labour , in Asia.

I think we must wish success to most new enterprises locally as good for local unemployed. Make exception with tattoo parlours and tanning studios. Both a disgrace.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Good luck with any campaign you'd like to start Rod.

Primark have been stinking up society and killing people in sweatshops for years, the problem is poxy globalisation and the free market.

I wish you luck in your quest but it's a waste of time because exploiting the poor to serve the poor to serve the rich is a dodecahedron of a labyrinth to wade through and totally impossible. Short of tracking down the directors and threatening them there is absolutely nothing which can be done to stop it

Unfortunately my views on capitalism are probably exhausted because where there is a market to make money literally off of the backs of the poor there is no inclination do do anything to stop it, not ever.

Call me optimistic but the only way forward for me is as I'm sure you are aware is "as you say" boycott these places and I do.

My wife bought me some work shirts from Primark and I asked her to return them or throw them in the bin, she wasn't too happy at first but now she knows never to buy from them again. Luckily we have the choice many poor people don't and the poor are these companies target audience which means it is impossible to put an end to this rotten stinking cycle.
Last edited by CaptainCarCrash on 22 Aug 2013 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Sensible post Rod. Maybe that's what Eagle was trying to say?
mikecg wrote:cycle
Did someone say cycle?!
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

mikecg wrote: My wife bought me some work shirts from Primark and I asked her to return them of throw them in the bin, she wasn't too happy at first but now she knows never to buy from them again.
I absolutely agree with your stand - wouldn't touch Primark with a barge pole. But this did make me wonder if your wife gets to make her own moral judgements or decisions at all?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I have been campaigning Rod for the minimum wage to be raised to the current minimum plus the tax credit.
I am all for stopping tax and pension credits.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Interestingly top of the wish list for some of the youngsters at the last sydenham assembly was a sports gear shop. Something we don't currently have. I don't know about the ethic of Sports Direct as a company or employer, but I think we really need an affordable sports store for local young people.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It was voted 'least ethical big firm in the UK' 5 years ago.

http://www.questia.com/library/1G1-1682 ... ssociation

3 years ago they were exposed again:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressr ... _out.shtml

Shop Ethical give them the lowest possible rating.
http://guide.ethical.org.au/company/?company=4873

I'm with Mike on this. If you think it's fine to make people work from 8 till 8 sharing a dormitory with 38 other women to one toilet for £1 a day, then vote with your cash and shop there. Because that seems to be acceptable to Sports Direct.

I wont.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Interesting links Lee, especially that last Australian one that couldn't find a single ethical sportswear manufacturer or retailer. so even if a small sportswear store did open in sydenham they'd have nothing to sell!

Inevitably of course the site favours Australian companies, but then Aussie brands would be unethical for us to buy because of the air/sea miles. An exception to the pro Australian slant being Vegimite (unethical), whilst Marmite is ethical. This despite the fact that Marmite owned by a church (which surprised me) with an anti gay stance. That's a shame, because I love Marmite, but don't want to support anti gay attitudes.

I'm glad the site doesn't judge wine producers! And that I don't like beer, which appears to be ragingly unethical!

Likelife

Post by Likelife »

marymck wrote:Interestingly top of the wish list for some of the youngsters at the last sydenham assembly was a sports gear shop. Something we don't currently have. I don't know about the ethic of Sports Direct as a company or employer, but I think we really need an affordable sports store for local young people.

It maybe on the top of our wish list to have a sports shop, but sports direct isn't very popular with a lot of young people even if it is affordable. Their shops looks like someones hidden closet where they just threw all their junk in.

Secondly ethics is at the back of most peoples priorities right now with pay freezes/cuts, reduction in benefits, higher transport fares, cost of food rising, cost of clothes, water, gas and electric bills all rising (while having huge profits) - I don't blame them for buying cheap stuff, if cheap shops weren't there much more people would be heading to food banks...