What do you think?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Annie.

What do you think?

Post by Annie. »

Jamie Oliver: Many Poor Families Choose The Most Expensive Food

Do you think his statement is true?
I don't know how to link to this story,but its on the Aol web page.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
art4

Re: What do you think?

Post by art4 »

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Thank you Art4

hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

I think there is some truth in it. But for me the divide is not between supermarkets vs local it is fresh produce vs processed rubbish. People need to be educated in how to prepare fresh meat, fruit and veg and to avoid ready meals, turkey twizzlers, processed meat etc. I could easily feed myself for a week for less than £5 with one trip to Lewisham market.

Cutting down on the meat and booze wouldn't do any harm either.

Now let's try and keep this one civil folks :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Anne , if true very sad.

People years ago used to shop at markets etc for cheapest option. Even today possible to shop at some markets but less of them , however noticed yesterday how much cheaper things like spinach and blueberries were at Lidl than Waitrose.

Large TV's are a disgrace if you cannot afford essentials. As are mobile phones , cars in London etc etc.

I know cannot be easy but buying the items from scratch and making your own meal must be a lot cheaper.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I think Jamie Oliver is probably more qualified than many of us on this forum to comment on this.

I spent a lot of time in supermarkets watching how people but stuff (it's part of my job) and have seem much research over the years from all the supermarkets. Convenience rules and ready meals aren't cheap. Higher earners tend to cook from scratch more. From all the research and sales figures I've sen over the years from Asda, Sainbury's, Tesco and other supermarkets overseas, I'd say the general thread of his argument is correct. This is supported by head of policy at the Child Poverty Action Group.

Obviously, this doesn't account for everyone and I'm against labelling people and old fashioned demographics. But the evidence is there.

Hopefully common sense will prevail on this thread!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

HB, I'm always cival!
I agree Eagle,but it would be good if maybe there were government run "cooking schools" to maybe reiterate the need for healthy eating/ cooking and showing how cheaply and quickly a decent meal could be achieved,this would lower the need for more top up benefits and less doctors appointments? As I said, Maybe?

hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Apols Annie, wasn't aiming that at you in particular :wink:

Does anyone know what cooking education is like on the curriculum at the moment? It was absolutely hopeless when I was at school. I feel like most of the parents are beyond hope, but educate the children properly and you set the next generation up properly. Which is what Oliver was attempting with his schools work, wasn't it?
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

I can't disagree with most of what he says but this makes me laugh:

"Oliver, who has campaigned for improved diets since his Channel 4 show Jamie's School Dinners in 2005, urged people to switch from shopping at supermarkets to buying smaller quantities of groceries from their local market. He said that Britain had much to learn from Italy and Spain about buying fresh produce and eating well on a limited budget."

WHAT local markets? The only local markets near here that seem to be doing any business are the part time ones of the 'organic'/farmers/'locally sourced' 'I saw you coming' variety selling truffle infused olive oil, artisan sourdough bread for 3 1/2 quid a pop and extortionately priced organic free range hand reared sustainable cider-apple fed Gloucester Old Spot sausages.
Convenience says people are going to get everything in one hit at a local supermarket rather than spend over an hour getting to and from a REAL market in Lewisham, Croydon or Brixton 2 or 3 times a week to pick up fresh cheaper food and ingredients.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I just thought a walk in kitchen which would be free for everyone, say on a Saturday, where people of all walks could go to and learn the sort of stuff their mothers maybe didnt show them, cheaper and quicker ways to produce food could be a good idea

hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

rod taylor wrote:You simply cannot turn on the T.V without cookery shows, in fact there are several channels devoted to cookery. Saturday and Sunday morning schedules are filled with cookery shows and every charity shop on Sydenham Road has volumes of recipe books for a pound.
True, but when was the last cookery show you saw that was marketed at a breadline parent? Those show are more about lifestyle aspirations than genuine education. But I take your point about willful ignorance, which is why I think we should focus on teaching school children and young people.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Jamie does this with his recipease stores Annie, but it's £45 for a 2 hours session. But they are apparently, VERY good.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipease/bookings/
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

rod taylor wrote:
Mr_Sheen wrote: Convenience says people are going to get everything in one hit at a local supermarket rather than spend over an hour getting to and from a REAL market in Lewisham, Croydon or Brixton 2 or 3 times a week to pick up fresh cheaper food and ingredients.
Why does convenience always win out? Always. Have we all really become that lazy?

We seem willing to travel for 2 hours a day to get to our 'well appointed' offices but a trip to a market is beyond us.
It's not laziness, it's practicality. A long trip to the market on overcrowded public transport is not always practical during a lunch break or after work.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

My elder sister went to Sydenham School in the late 50's and remember one day a week she brought home a meal she had cooked. Very nice it was to. I think all young ladies did domestic science then.

I assume girls also learn cooking from their mothers and grandmothers , that is how it has always worked in the past.

As boys are taught DIY etc from their fathers and grandfathers.

I cannot think very difficult to learn to cook the basics at least.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

I can't disagree with that. If there were markets on every high street as there seems to be in France and Italy then Oliver's point would be valid and we'd all be able to feed a family of four for 50p a month.
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Eagle wrote:My elder sister went to Sydenham School in the late 50's and remember one day a week she brought home a meal she had cooked. Very nice it was to. I think all young ladies did domestic science then.

I assume girls also learn cooking from their mothers and grandmothers , that is how it has always worked in the past.

As boys are taught DIY etc from their fathers and grandfathers.

I cannot think very difficult to learn to cook the basics at least.
Are you trying to imply that only girls and women need to know how to cook?!? What old-fashioned, misogynistic rubbish! Everyone needs to learn how to feed themselves, in the same way as everyone should know how to do basic DIY.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rod
You are 100% correct.

That is refering to poorer working families with both parties busy at work and no time to get to markets.

For poor families on benefit then they have all the time in the world to shop for bargains and cook for basics.

Juliet
I was just pointing out what happened in the past. That was when people ate a better diet on average. No suggestion that the same template should occur in today's very different world.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Eagle - Just out of interest, do you know anyone who lives or has lived on benefits for an extended period of time? I just want to get a sense of what you are basing this on:
Eagle wrote:For poor families on benefit then they have all the time in the world to shop for bargains and cook for basics.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Lee, I was thinking more of a government led initiative,
That was free to locals, It could lead to less health issues,so less strain/expense on the NHS,also if found to be cheaper to buy fresh food,it could help to lessen the burden on people trying to make ends meet.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

HB

Yes I do. A gent about 40 living in SE26 who has never managed to work. Has no disability. I will not be more specific for obvious reasons.

Also a family of Mum and Dad and 3 children , parents about 30, never worked. Again SE26.

Not sure why you are asking this question.