What do you think?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Annie.

Re: What do you think?

Post by Annie. »

I also know people on benefits, including family members.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Rod,
It is well known that past generations used to pass on their skills to their children etc,this included cooking healthy but cheap meals, this skill in some cases is no longer passed on,should we just ignore this? Or should we help people who maybe don't know better,I think it would eventually benefit us all if the next generation were to be encouraged to live healthier lives,sometimes people just need a little help.

hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Eagle wrote: Not sure why you are asking this question.
I ask, because I am intrigued by your claim that
poor families on benefit... have all the time in the world to shop for bargains and cook for basics.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's worth looking at this on the excellent inhabitat site. It shows what families around the world eat over a week...including a family from the uk.

http://inhabitat.com/oxfam-posts-seven- ... in-a-week/

Another point is that we waste about 50% of the food we 'consume' in the UK. Best before, display until and use by dates don't help that much.

I was taught basic cooking at school like how to burn toast because my teacher was talking to me or how to make scrambled eggs and pancakes, although my Home Economics teacher was awful and (on another point) hated all the boys. As we later found out she really liked girls, as did her girlfriend who was the Gym Teacher and both left the school in a fog of shame. We seemed to have a problem with that for some reason, it happened to at least 4 teachers I knew of where they left or ended up in prison...but perhaps it was to do with the 70's. I learnt nothing about cooking in school, I learnt to cook by living on my own after I left college and I got bored with student meals. We learnt sewing at school too as the girls swapped with the boys and did woodwork for a token sexual equality week.

Dull as dishwater Delia Smith did a series a while back didn't she where she taught the basics. She was criticised for being patronising!

I have to agree with Rod, there are so many ways to cook, so many things you can do. Perhaps food banks should give out vegetables and pasta rather than tins of spaghetti?

Regarding teaching people to cook. MAKE IT FUN. Much teaching in school is actually un-engaging and boring. The best lessons I had were when the teacher took an initiative and had their own style. We loved those lessons. The 'by the numbers' teacher were dull and we learned practically nothing.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

rod taylor wrote:at a time [of] national recession

:wink:
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

Oliver tried it before with school dinners. As Rod said, the information was out there, it was widely publicised but people chose to ignore it - parents were giving their kids chips through the school fence at lunch time. If an enthusiastic public face like that can't do it I doubt some government health directive will have any effect.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Lee
Interesting except not sure the sexual habits of your teachers had much relevance.

Whether recession or not people should be able to learn quite quickly how to cook and mash potato , cook brocoli , spinach , carrots etc.
If hard up meat.chicken or fish maybe twice a week, if that.

Infact I believe all people should have at least 2 veggie days a week.

Why have we got to the place where every meal has chips. Even meals like cottage pie that are half potato anyway.

True we waste far too much food , but you would not think so the number of tubbies around.
mosy

Post by mosy »

There was a long debate on the now defunct BBC food message board a while back - the jury was still out on whether supermarket meals could be beaten on cost by fresh.

The undeniable pros of cooking fresh from scratch can easily overlook the true cost if everything is counted, meaning wastage like veg peelings; also cost of store cupboard items (oil, spices/sauces, cornflour/gravy powder etc) or fridge (typically eggs/milk) and also gas/elec and the water for washing up, petrol/fares. The cost of a meal isn't just the price of the meat or fish, as some TV chefs suggest having built a dish around it, no pudding of course.

Most people agreed that whilst home-baked cakes, crumbles and pies taste better, the cost is likely to be twice that of a supermarket, who can bulk-buy. Growing teenagers and active people need calories. Perhaps Jamie should be promoting a low GI diet instead, e.g.: http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

I know people on this board watched the BBC programme a month or so ago in which James Martin and Angela Hartnett tried to cook for people on limited budgets, going over, but did OK for feeding 100 (much easier than for 1 or 2) so the honoured guests were left with the impression that "it could be done" since the chefs obviously couldn't allow themselves to fail, so missing the whole point of the difficulty that the programme had shown throughout.

Eating from scratch IMO is expensive, so we'll see what Jamie achieves eh?
mosy

Post by mosy »

If I recall the food wastage statistics correctly, much (most?) of the waste was by supermarkets discarding unsold food which they are not allowed to give away (H&S) and charities declined anyway as the supply, if any, was unreliable and they had to plan ahead.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said
No one on benefits should be on cable or satelite . Basic freeview OK but do not need large screen.

Am I correct in saying that ready meals from supermarkets incur VAT of 20% ? if so that should make home cooked meals cheaper.
mosy

Post by mosy »

@ rod taylor: If you are talking about people who might use food money for luxury items, I agree, although in those cases I wish Jamie good luck converting them. Hopefully he will avoid soundbites and concentrate on people/families who have tried and not succeeded. For example, youngsters/teens don't like veg and the ubiquitous lentils so making a meal from fresh is a complete waste of time and money if it'll be thrown in the bin. Do you recall a few years ago when Jamie made a "delicious" pizza for the kids to sample and they spit it out? I thought his wife did the cooking, so I doubt he has much experience of feeding a family 24/7 every day recently, even less so on a budget, so probably theoretical rather than empirically tried and tested ones. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

His recipes are actually very good, and eatable, lol, but many have more ingredients than you could shake a stick at, even his 15 minute meals. I'm not knocking him as he's doing what he thinks is right - just hoping he can back it up :)

PS to Eagle, no, ready meals are zero rated: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort ... #P179_7804
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mosy

Surely if people poor they would not spit food out , or are they really poor.

Poor of old would be amazed that people who refuse to eat certain foods through choice could still be classified as poor.
mosy

Post by mosy »

@ Eagle: The thing is not that "they should be glad of any food", more that changing the habits of a country today won't happen if food doesn't taste nice. I think the country has been trained to like sweet things like highly sweetened breakfast cereals, excruciatingly sweet "no added sugar" cordials, chocolate biscuit treats etc. I assume this is a US influence as even bread rolls are sweet now. Aspartame etc might replace sugar but is still training taste buds to like "sweet", so broccoli has no chance :lol:

@ rod taylor: I can only suggest you try it for youself starting from an empty fridge and storecupboard. I'm confused if the people are active (needing serious calories) and still are managing to heat and light their homes. Perhaps you can share their hints or budgets?
mosy

Post by mosy »

It is in the news today that the NHS has £2.50 per day per patient. What would you spend your £2.50 on?
marymck

Post by marymck »

In the link Annie gave in her OP Jamie suggested an economical and healthy purchase would be buying ten mange tout from a local market. I'll try that the next time I see any in a market and compare the cost/health benefits with a bag of frozen peas.

I'm willing to bet that - portion for portion - the frozen peas will work out cheaper and healthier. Veg loses vitamins at an alarming rate once picked. Given the long journey that mist of our Veg will have taken, what we buy as fresh is hardly that.

There's a lot to be said for frozen, unmucked about with, veg.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mary you are right about frozen products , but surely very poor people would not be able to afford to buy or operate a freezer.

I am fed up with stories of people not liking this or not liking that and will not eat them. Some of our parents went through rationing and were happy to eat anything. It is shameful how some people dismiss healthy food.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

In reply to Mosy, yes, most is thrown away by supermarkets.

But almost 20% of all the food we BUY we throw away.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If correct that is tragic and wrong. Something needs to be done.

Apparently in India, with virtually zero supermarkets , they have about 50% wastage from farmer to eater. They are suggesting supermarkets could be there solution??

In UK eat by and sell by dates alot of the problem. I know people who would not touch any item even 8 hours after date.
Most things last a few days after date . Of course one should be careful re meat and fish but things like veggie cottage pie and yogurts, I do not think so.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Sainsburys in Sydenham give all their unsold bread away each day to a charity,but the food that is thrown away because of the date is shocking ,also must be said some of the problem is the staff not rotating the goods.
We waste so much, as a child, my mums cooking was basic but filling, lots of vegetables to bulk out the meal,also,pearl barley,lentils etc which made "stews" etc go much further.
Which comes back to my point, that skills that haven't been taught to maybe two generations, could be taught now and stop the decline.

mosy

Post by mosy »

@ leenewham: And I bet that of the 20% a lot of that is fruit and veg that is left languishing, if any by the poor. It's far more likely to be shoppers who "buy well" but it doesn't get eaten - too much food in the fridge? They should be so lucky.

@ rod taylor: It was easier to live well cheaply say five years ago before the explosion in utility and food prices; also the introduction of fixed daily charges so there's a minimum bill for any utility whether used or not. By "things" I assume you mean material possessions. You're right about having to have broadband when "everything" either has to be done online or pay £stupid phone bills on hold, or travel fares, so, as you say, it has become an essential of our culture today, or have I misunderstood and you think it's a luxury expenditure?

Back to food. I kinda agree with Eagle's earlier overall point that customers used to be more savvy and didn't just pick things up from shelves which often have misleading prices/offers. My mental arithmetic is good, so I can assess what I'd pay for a supermarket ready meal; that's experience not smartness, but if folks rely on what is before them in ready meals, then we're all doomed (only half a wink emoticon here).

@ Annie: School teachers tell different stories, for example in class, those who can't afford to bring money for ingredients (parents didn't give it to them for whatever reason) can be excluded ("Read a book"); also once home, mum won't buy ingredients or don't want children making a mess (they do) so can't replicate for themselves. It's very complicated if relying on schools to do more than pencil and paper work, exacerbated by many not having training kitchens.