Christmas Lights on Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Maria

Re: Christmas Lights on Sydenham Road

Post by Maria »

Rachael wrote:We don't want to attract riffraff.
That's absolutely hilarious...even more so for being so totally un-PC.

I will put something on the table which should leave no one (excepting riff raff) in any doubt.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

That's counted out half of Sydenham then, bit elitist I think, none inclusive.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Maria

Post by Maria »

I know you were joking Annie, and of course we know you too know we were... but the only serious bit is that we do want to keep out anybody who does not have a positive, constructive view of lightning Sydenham in December and other times. Wingers, grumpy doubters, useless time wasters, non believers (in Sydenham), hangers on... KEEP OUT, we have no time to waste with people like them. None inclusive? Yeap, that's us!!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I think the Tinsel was a better idea,
Good luck to you,
I hope you can make it happen.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Annie. wrote:That's counted out half of Sydenham then, bit elitist I think, none inclusive.

You do know that was a joke, right?
Maria

Post by Maria »

So, shall we all bring something to do with Christmas and put it on the table on arrival? This is going to be a laugh.... Dickp we are counting on your tasteful but motivational, discreet but inviting, informative but intriguing... sign! (I will bring something a bit shinier... god help whoever arrives first mind)
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Rachael wrote:
Annie. wrote:That's counted out half of Sydenham then, bit elitist I think, none inclusive.

Really?

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Annie. wrote:
Rachael wrote:

Really?

Yes, really, much in the spirit of my suggesting we wear tinsel. Sorry if that wasn't apparent to you.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Are you going to let us "riff raff" know how the meeting went?

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Annie. wrote:Are you going to let us "riff raff" know how the meeting went?

We haven't had it yet. It's next week. And everyone is welcome.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I thought it was last night, sorry,
I don't expect to be here Christmas, but wish you well to get new lights.

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thanks, Annie.

Bumping to remind people that we are meeting this Wednesday to discuss Christmas lights and associated matters. Please do come along if you are interested and/or have any bright ideas (pun not intended, sorry).
Maria

Post by Maria »

29th August, from me:

So, by now we have 3 of us keen to meet up with C Best (thanks Chris) but loads of others who are obviously v interested and knowledgeable: any more takers? It's turning into a full blown Christmas party, at this rate... :)

Reminder - the meeting is tomorrow - Golden Lion @ 8pm. Everyone welcomed as stressed above. I will arrive early (7.45) so if you see a solitary looking woman wearing a black coat and sitting on a big table looking as though she hasn't a clue what's going to happen: that's it, you are at the right place.

See you there! (PS since that message above was written quite a few others joined in, which is great)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'll be there - red curly hair, short (me, not the hair). Will be there shortly after 8pm (can't leave the house until 8 but am very close!)
mosy

Post by mosy »

Did this meeting take place? I'd be delighted to hear of suggestions put forward and general views offered. Ta.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yes it did!

Thank you to everyone who came to discuss the Christmas lights - and to Lee who sent us his suggestions via email. We had a chat about last year's lights and rather woefully decorated tree. We all came with the idea of individually lighting the new trees, which will be planted in about a month's time. We were also generally agreed that the big Christmas tree doesn't seem to represent good value for money, and it would be better (if possible) to spend that money on lighting the living trees with white lights (which is not to say there won't be any traditional Christmas tree at all, more on that below).

We have to find out how big the new trees are going to be and how many of them will be near enough to a power source (lamp column or possible power points from the markets) before we have an idea how many trees can be lit and how much this will cost, but we are going to approach local businesses now to see who would be interested in sponsoring the trees. B&Q might be interested - they could perhaps sponsor the installation. And we thought local businesses on Sydenham Road could sponsor individual trees near their premises, with a sign on the tree showing who sponsored it.

We will still have the 'festoon' lights on the lamp columns (fancy name for the bulbs on strings), but will request that they are all one colour this year (last year was an ad-hoc mix of blue and white) and to have them all blue to contrast with white lights on the trees.

There was a competition last year to encourage the traders to do Christmas window displays. About 700 people voted for the winners, and we can use this to encourage the traders to do the same this year - it shows people are interested. And we loved Lee's suggestion about pairing up shops with local artists to do the displays. We can put out a call to local artists, illustrators, designers, theatre, set and window dressers, and also approach Goldsmiths.

Now, If we do away with the big tree, we lose the focal point for the Christmas celebrations - last year there was a lighting ceremony and late-night shopping. As an alternative, we thought we could have the monthly SEE3 market on Sunday 15th December (so as not to clash with the FH fair and Horniman's Christmas fair) and build Christmas events around it. There will be markets in both Venner and Station Approach by then. We could have a smaller Christmas tree in either Station Approach or the pocket square at Queensthorpe that children could decorate. There could be a decorations-making workshop in the morning, and decorating the tree in the afternoon. Kids can bring homemade decs from home as well.

To make best use of Queensthorpe pocket park, we are looking into have a traditional carousel and/or a Santa's grotto and bran tub lucky dip - Toys R Us, who will be opening at Bell Green eventually, could be approached to sponsor that. We also thought it would be a brilliant wheeze if we could bring out the vehicles from the Remarkable Race that was held in Mayow Park in the summer and have a parade with them. And perhaps redecorate one to be a Santa-Mobile. And we'll approach local choirs so we can have some carol singing going on throughout the day, perhaps moving between the three venues (Venner, Queensthorpe and Station Approach).

Chris Best is taking these suggestion to the Sydenham Assembly tonight. Fingers crossed we can make this happen!

(I hope I got everything right - if anyone who was there wants to correct or add anything, please do!)
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Brilliant. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to be involved! :D
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thank you very much indeed Rachael for taking the time to write that out for us. I'll say no more except that I know how much work will need to be put in on many fronts.
parklife

Post by parklife »

very well done

sounds great !!!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Another idea for the lights (sponsorship wise):

https://spacehive.com/riponchristmaslights