Christmas Lights on Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JulietP

Re: Christmas Lights on Sydenham Road

Post by JulietP »

I think putting lights in the new trees is a brilliant idea - it doesn't need to be a fir tree. I know it's on a different scale, but in Seville they put lights through all the orange trees at Christmas and it looks spectacular.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

White led lights look fantastic on the bare (no leaves) trees. If you are ever in Canary Wharf over the winter they do all the bare trees and its very tasteful.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Last year's Sydenham's Christmas tree decorations were an embarrassment. St Christopher's Hospice's tree was much better in comparison. :roll:
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

The roast is that Penge (!!!!!) puts Sydenham to shame. That's Lewisham for you.

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Surely B&Q would sponsor the Sydenham Christmas tree this year. They have the lights already
I wouldn't mind if it had a sign there saying that they had sponsored it either...

Maria

Post by Maria »

Just received a pm from C Best in reply to mine, as agreed in previous post.

She suggests meeting on the 12 September at 8 pm - can people make it?

As alternatives if too many can't (or would actually prefer the 2nd option), she also wonders if we would all mind meting on Friday evening or weekend before that date?

I'm ok with either - how about others? Totally agree with involving B&Q -but of course, it is so much in their interest to get involved in this quite apart from the fact that we would publicise their generosity AND buy the lights from them...

I suggest meeting in the Golden Lion's meeting room at the back unless there are objections and/or better ideas. Also, it would be good to have firm names of attendees, preferred dates/venue... and the more the merrier.

It's happening...
dickp

Post by dickp »

I can come. Please see my previous post for possible contact details of B&Q personnel to contact regarding sponsorship. I will also try to hunt down relevant people at the other new Bell Green traders and post them on here.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I can come on the 12th too.

Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Just to say bit of confusion on dates - I can do Wednesday 11th at 8pm following the Mayor & Cabinet meeting. Thursday 12th is the Sydenham Assembly. Thought it would be good to feedback the discussion on Christmas to the Assembly - 7.00pm at The Sydenham Centre next to the Post Office.

There are also the SEE3 Action Groups that may well be interested - Tuesday 10th for Enterprise & Creative, Tuesday 17th for Community & Social Capital and Tuesday 24th for Comms, Events & Marketing.

As well as the Christmas lights there are other fun activities that could be considered eg lantern parade and carol singing. Traders usually interested in late night shopping maybe street food?

dickp

Post by dickp »

So....if we meet on the 11th at 8pm in the Golden Lion, our ideas can be discussed at the assembly on the 12th?

Am I right? Does that work for everyone?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

11th works for me.

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

While we're on the subject of sponsored trees, we should definitely see if Lloyds or Pedder want to sponsor one for their "square" or is that where the main tree would go?

Maria

Post by Maria »

Yes, sorry folks, of course it is the 11th (on the 12th at 8 pm I shall be having dinner in front of the river Douro facing miles of dark red vineyards ready for harvest... the wondrous north of my country!)

8pm in the Golden Lion on the 11th it is then; If I don't hear from some of the previous posters I will pm them in case they miss these final planning messages.

See you all there, but more suggestions beforehand would be useful. Thanks to Dickp for offering to hunt down relevant business people, to Steveofsyd for the suggested obvious involvement of Lloyds and Pedder, to Rachael for starting the thread we were all thinking of starting, Lee for highly useful links, for C Best for being so fast & effective, and to all others who are keen to come/participate in any way. I must say Christmas is not one of my favourite times of the year, but the thought of having Sydenham looking spectacularly lit at that time (as well on other occasions) is extremely exciting.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Does anyone know when Next, Pets at Home etc are arriving in Sydenham? If their launch is around Christmas, that would give us an obvious "in" to tap them for sponsorship.

In the meantime:

Pets at Home
Scott Jefferson - marketing director
Sally Hopson - Customer and people director
PC World / Dixon – has a charity - the DSG international Foundation
Helen Grantham - charity vice president
Ben Lovett – head of PR – Currys PC World
marymck

Post by marymck »

I can be there too. Big thanks to Maria for organizing us.

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'll be able to recognise you, Mary - you'll be the one with your handbag in your lap. ;-)
Maria

Post by Maria »

:lol:

But that's a point.... how on earth will we know who we are? Does anybody know the pub well and could identify an area where we all sit? (except that other people would probably be sitting there by the time we got in...). I've done something similar with a book club started ages ago but at least then we all had a book on the table so that was a bit of a clue....
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Um, should we all wear tinsel?
dickp

Post by dickp »

Someone* could print out a page saying something like "Committee to improve Sydenham's Christmas lights", or some such text, and put it on the table.

That way, anyone who's passing - and is interested - could come and join us.

Let's not be exclusive...

*me?

But feel free to wear tinsel, Rachael.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

(edited on second thoughts)

I'll skip the tinsel.Thumbs up for a sign on the table, but make it discrete. We don't want to attract riffraff.
Last edited by Rachael on 3 Sep 2013 16:14, edited 1 time in total.