VE Day celebrations Bradford Road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
bradfordroadgirl

VE Day celebrations Bradford Road

Post by bradfordroadgirl »

bradford road mum and nan.jpg
brendagennery

Re: VE Day celebrations Bradford Road

Post by brendagennery »

another Bradford girl I was there too
Beerboy

Re: VE Day celebrations Bradford Road

Post by Beerboy »

I lived in 28 Springfield Rise. The families I remember in Bradford Road were the Hughes family. David,Jimmy,and Frank-I used to wrestle with him, and Edith (Inky). Freddy Rowe. Eric Dunmore. Kathleen Rixon . Jean Wren.
A VE celebration bonfire was lit on Wells Road just outside my aunt Violet Coopers house next door to Wellbeloves the butchers. John Smith who lived next door to my aunt, pushed a stand up piano out of his house and straight onto the fire. It is a wonder that Wickes the confectioners and the oil shop nearly next door did not go up in flames. Sid Capron , the church verger lived in the house between Wicks and Brice's yard on the corner of Prospect Road. I have now lived in Thailand for twenty-seven years but sometimes I get clear memories of where I was 'brung' up. I used to help the baker at the bottom of Springfield. I was only about eleven I think and just before Easter when his shop would be closed and he had to turn out more bread and hot-cross buns, At night I used to sit on the bench and watch the mice and cockroaches come out to play as it was all quiet while the baker had a kip for an hour. No health and safety in those days and the bread was delicious. The good old days? For the kids, I think yes. Not for the parents though.
Ron Martin.
Thailand