Rock & Fountain Yard, Sydenham

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
freew8t

Rock & Fountain Yard, Sydenham

Post by freew8t »

I am researching my family line in the Forest Hill/Sydenham area. In 1881 the family resided in "Rock and Fountain Yard". It seems from the Census record that this Yard, which appears in the Victorian London Street directory, must have been situated off Sydenham High Street as it was then. The entry appears next to that of the "Rock and Fountain Beer Shop" Anyone on the forum have any information concerning the exact location in 1881? Grateful for any responses...
Tony Martin

Re: Rock & Fountain Yard, Sydenham

Post by Tony Martin »

I tried the same search in June/July this year - my family on my Mother's side was TOOP. They were listed as being in Rock and Fountain Yard also.
Tony
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

If you search for members On here you should find the local historian Steve Grindley, he might know
marymck

Post by marymck »

I'll have a look on my old maps. I think it's to the north of Willow Way. I'll post again. In the meantime if you're interested you can see some reports of the health inspectors of that time, which are now available to view online at the Welcome institute.

On some of those you can get an idea what the yard and other places in the borough were like - at least as far as drainage and living conditions go! Not just stable and pub yards, but cottages and quite posh houses too!

But brace yourself! Victorians lived with a lot of unpleasantness. Links coming up ....

http://wellcomelibrary.org/moh/report/b19954359/23

http://wellcomelibrary.org/moh/report/b18245122/89
marymck

Post by marymck »

Looking at the Census, I think the Rock and Fountain may have been at approximately 81 High Street (with the yard presumably behind it). There's a photograph in John Coulter & John Seaman's book "Forest Hill & Sydenham ... in Old Photographs", page 63, bottom, which shows what looks like a pub. Though according to the caption that is 50 High Street, identified as a printers in 1908, and now 107 Kirkdale - so I could be wrong.

107 Kirkdale is now a Londis store. It's had the shop front knocked out sans planning permission/building control since the Street View pics were taken, so quite how the upper storey is staying aloft is anyone's guess ... but it had been pretty much trashed as a building anyway. Here (hopefully) is a link to the Street View image. Sorry I can't post any old photographs.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8 ... CDAQxB0wAA

The "High Street" used to run from approx Wells Park Road, round into what is now Dartmouth Road, up till approx. the Bricklayer's Arms. Sorry not to be of more help, I'm afraid, because I can't get to my maps at the moment, as we're having carpets laid tomorrow and all is in turmoil.

I'll let you know if I find out anything more definite.
freew8t

Post by freew8t »

Thanks so much for your efforts at solving this mystery for me (and for my cousin Tony in Adelaide :wink: ). From the census returns of the period I had pinpointed the location to be between 79 and 81 High Street or maybe as you suggest behind "The Rock and Fountain Beer Shop" at #81. The family were residing there in 1881 at "1 Rock and Fountain Yard". Apparently there were two dwellings in the Yard. Thank you also for the most enlightening reports from the Lewisham Medical Officer for health for 1858 and 1862 which mention the location. Good grief! I can only hope that for their sakes the yard had been cleaned up by 1881. And there was I picturing a pretty little yard, as its name suggests. I believe I have a copy of Coulter and Seaman's book. I will check out the photograph. Thanks again for your response.