FB timeline cover images of old Sydenham

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Lois

FB timeline cover images of old Sydenham

Post by Lois »

Hi everyone,

I just created a Facebook timeline cover image depicting the old Sydenham High Street from some images on Steve Grindlays Flickr photo stream. Thanks Steve :D
It is designed with the FB profile image and links that go over the image in mind.

Anyone using FB is welcome to take it for their own page but you do need to give appropriate credit, provide a link to the CC license. Here is the info I put to the image:

The Old Sydenham High Street (name changed to Kirkdale sometime between 1929 and 1945)

I created this timeline image from images taken from the wonderful Flickr Photo Stream of local historian Steve Grindlay.

If you live local to me and are interested in local history then it is well worth a look:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevegrindlay/

I cropped the images and changed the size to fit the timeline cover image. Use of these images are covered by the Creative Commons Licence:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

The main image shows the Fox and Hounds pub on the left at the junction with Wells Park Road facing up towards the current mini roundabout junction with Dartmouth Road (which also used to be part of Sydenham High Street).

The small image top left shows the water fountain that used to be at that roundabout.

And the background to my profile image is a photograph of some of the tiles in the Greyhound pub at the top of Sydenham Road which is now in a serious state of disrepair as part of a new build that is wrapped around the pub itself.

Last edited by Lois on 28 Jan 2014 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Lois

Re: FB timeline cover image of the old Sydenham High Street

Post by Lois »

Here is another image that will work as a FB timeline cover image:

If you use it do remember to attribute it to Steve's Flickr stream.
marymck

Re: FB timeline cover images of old Sydenham

Post by marymck »

Hi Lois please could you post a link to you FB pages?

FYI the High Street name was changed to Kirkdale and Dartmouth Road in 1936. It was a a decision by the LCC. So Kirkdale and Dartmouth Road being as ling as they are now only date as from 1936. They were shorter before then. The "new" Kirkdale combined three existing roads: they were Sydenham Hill Road, part of the High Street and the lower part - from the junction with Wells Park Road on down - which was called Kirkdale since the late 19th Century.

Here is a link to an earlier discussion, which you find find interesting on the subject of street name changes ...

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... ale#p47491
Lois

Post by Lois »

Here is the last one for today.
Enough playing at the PC! LOL

Mary, my FB pages are not about local history.
If you want to use the images just right click on them here and select either 'Save picture as..." or "Copy".

If you want to add me as a friend search for Lois Pallister on Facebook
You can see my images that way too as they are public but the local history ones are all here.

Thanks for the extra info - I knew I'd read that somewhere but couldn't remember where :-)
Lois

Post by Lois »

Ooops, just remembered I changed my name on FB to Lois Pallister Adi

The ADI stands for Approved Driving Instructor
Lois

Post by Lois »

Getting a bit silly now! LOL

Here is the Sydenham Common pic on my FB page - The image I used as my profile pic was taken on holiday in Shropshire in 2010 when I dressed up with part of the painting as a background.

Right that REALLY is enough LOL