Photo study of derelict Salvation Army site

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
paultreacy

Photo study of derelict Salvation Army site

Post by paultreacy »

Hello.

I went snooping around the abandoned Salvation Army site and made some pictures I'd like to share.

First up is a photo I made with one of my pro cameras, a FujiFilm X100. The rest were made with my
BlackBerry phone.

All images © PAUL TREACY 2014. All Rights reserved
I'm a Sydenham based professional photographer with 20+ years experience.
For more information, please see paultreacy.com.
Thank you.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

marymck

Re: Photo study of derelict Salvation Army site

Post by marymck »

Thanks for posting those very atmospheric shots, Paul. I've never walked around there and I don't know the back story, but from your picturesI thought it looked a nice place to live, with all that breathing space and running around room for children to play within sight of the houses. I could almost hear the sounds of playing children.

I assume these were family homes? It's sad to see it all so abandoned. I wonder what became of the people who lived there?

I know I'll be told this isn't the thread to say it, but it seems a shame to me that something on a similar scale and ethos can't be built there ... or just those houses be renovated. In a few years we could look back on that site in the same way we feel about what's happened to many of the old lost terraces of sydenham, now in some cases replaced by scummy unloved estates.

A case of not learning from the past.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Thanks, Marymck.

It was a strange experience walking around this site. This was my second visit. The opening image was made on my first visit but I lost the rest of those images in a software accident. They were all shot on pro gear and I was going to submit them all to my agency.

When I went back I was compelled, for some reason, to make the pictures with my smart phone. Not sure why.

I too could hear all kinds of sounds in my imagination as I meandered about the place, children, bits of imagined conversations, sound of footballs hitting the back of the goal net and that sort of thing. But I stood still too to listen to the utter silence of abandonment until a bird would interrupt my thoughts and bring me back to the task in hand.

I gather this site will be developed as a housing estate. I cannot remember the details but some will be affordable housing.

It's an amazing plot with enormous potential.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I think I'd have freaked out ... because I'm reading The Shining at the moment!

Yes, there is a development in the offing, but a very high density gated one from what I gather. There's a discussion on another thread about it.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Would be great to do another set of same shots but under bright full moon. Hmmm. But not with phone. Would need the heavy optical artillery for that.