Excellent new book on Sydenham amd Forest Hill

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Robin Orton

Excellent new book on Sydenham amd Forest Hill

Post by Robin Orton »

I went to the launch of Steve Grindlay's book Sydenham and Forest Hill Through Time (Stroud, Gloucestershire: Amberley Publishing, 2014) at the Kirkdale Bookshop on Saturday. I thoroughly recommend it - a great Xmas present for anyone who lives in this part of London. It's a series of 'then and now' pictures and photographs, but with an absolutely fascinating commentary which provides lots of information about the history of our area, much of which I doubt has appeared in print before.
Eagle

Re: Excellent new book on Sydenham amd Forest Hill

Post by Eagle »

I agree excellent book with many pictures that have brought back memories. Especially Venner and Devonshire Road's.

Picture of Venner had zero cars. How much nicer than today's excuse for a carpark.

Well done Steve.

Hope everyone on this Forum purchases a copy.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

I bought a copy of the book covering the history of the railway Crystal Palace (High Level) to Nunhead, which is an excellent read
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes I think I have seen this book. I remember the bridge or think i do ) over the SC , in the 50's , when the line went along the bottom of Horniman Gardens.

It would be great if line still there. Of course this line had the Upper Level CP Station , which was the Royal entrance to the Palace , with tunnel under the parade.
Ntw

Post by Ntw »

Though I I'd post this here as vaguely relevant

I also have the High level line book by John Gale and have been fascinated with this line and the surrounding area. Many pictures of the High level station show a large Victorian house above the Paxton tunnel entrance. I couldn't find any information on this house until today when I received my copy of the High level and Catford loop line by Keith Smith.

It mentions that the house was called 'The Knoll' and was owned by a Lady Elizabeth Hamilton. However, further searches on Google using this information does not reveal more.

Does anyone have more information on this and pictures from the road or other angles?

Thank you

Nigel
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I don't suppose Lady Hamilton had any connection with Hamilton Lodge at 36 Honor Oak Rd? That is a lovely old building.
Ntw

Post by Ntw »

I researched Hamilton Lodge and it was built along with Havelock House by the owner of now demolished Tewkesbury Lodge (Herbert Charles Beyer) for his children, at the edge of his grounds.

There was an impressive folly in the grounds of Tewkesbury Lodge which amazingly survives in the garden of a house at 23 Liphook Crescent.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Interesting..........thanks Nigel.