Bews Corner, Forest Hill

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Bews Corner, Forest Hill

Post by Falkor »

Does anyone recognise the place in this sketch? I can't seem to find any written reference to "Bews Corner"; where exactly was it? Does it have any alternative names? Any help would be much appreciated!
Source: Forest Hill By Doris E. Pullen.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

This map of 1870 shows where Bew's Corner is:

It is the junction with Dulwich Common and Lordship Lane, where the Harvester now is.

The earliest pub was The Green Man, founded some 300 years ago. An early landlord was John Cox, who was given permission to cut a path through Dulwich Woods to the top of Sydenham Hill, probably hoping to attract custom from visitors to Sydenham Wells. The path is still known as Cox's Walk.

The Green Man ceased to be an inn by the end of the 18th century when it became a school, called Glennie's Academy. It was here that Lord Byron was a pupil, before going to Harrow.

After the school closed a surviving part of the building became a pub, licensed to someone called Bew. In 1863 it was rebuilt and called The Grove Tavern. In 1923 it was rebuilt again.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Falkor, your image was dated 1978. I believe it was copied from this engraving, from a book published in 1878:
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Thanks Steve! I guess I need to study the history of Dulwich closest to Sydenham and Forest Hill rather than ignoring it; which book do you recommend? Afterall, Sydenham Hill Woods in technically in Dulwich as well as half the villas that once lined that side of Sydenham Hill; perhaps, photos of the Hoo etc. are to be found in Dulwich/Camberwell libraries/study centres/archives?