CINEMAS IN SYDENHAM

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
nannyjacks

Post by nannyjacks »

There used to be opposite the Greyhound in Sydenham a sweetshop/newsagents run by a chap called Brian McCarthy and his wife Maggie.He was a lovely chap and in the early 1960s on my way home from work after getting off the train from London Bridge hot and thirsty he used to do a glass of cream soda with a dollop of icecream in it for about 9d.It was wonderful, and to this day if I am hot and thirsty that's what I make for myself .I believe he was an ex-motorcycle racer, and him and his wife were a nice couple who lived in Sheenwood.Last I heard the shop was sold because he had died of a heart attack in his early 40s ,very sad as he used to open his basement up for youngsters to play records ect as a mini youth club.
I too ruined my teeth on Palm toffee bars at 3d or the chocolate ones with a white stripe running through it for 4d.In those days you could buy 2.ozs of pear drops and make them last for ages.I loved Spangles as well,especially the Olde English ones
In Taylors Lane by Wells Park there was a small off licence/grocers shop and it was the only shop open on a Sunday in the 1950s ,so if your Mum ran out of something it was quite a hike up Westwood Hill then down to the bottom of Taylors Lane to the shop.I lived in Lawrie Park Gardens in those days. My eldest brother when he married (1958) lived at the top of Westwood Hiil in a road called Hillcrest I think its an estate now but then it was big old rambling victorian houses that had been split up into flats.
I can remember when we had the really bad winter in the early 1960s and all of the roads off Westwood Hill were snowed in .Lawrie Park Gardens and Avenue and the surrounding roads were in those days unmade up roads and there was little difference between the road and the path at the side.
Just before the entrance to Hall Drive on Westwood Hill there was a house that had a peach tree in the front garden.All the kids locally knew about it, and when there were any peaches avaiable it was a case of the smallest being boosted up and a small hand crept over the fence and the tree was relieved of a couple of fruits.Now that was posh scrumping. There was a few apple trees in the garden of a large house in Lawrie Park Avenue that was popular with the local kids until one of them got captured, and the bloke told him that he had sprayed pesticides on the trees.The trees were left well alone after that. :shock:
There was very little crime that I can remember and the worst thing was to go scrumping as children always think of it as rather daring.
I remember though once when I was about 12 getting into the back garden of a house in Lawrie Park Road that was due for demolition and there were about four of us and we decided to explore the house .
Up in the attic I found a box full of old 78's records .It was the complete Artie Shaw swing sessions from 1943.I naturally 'acquired' it as it had been left behind, and no one else wanted them .I took them home and they were in perfect condition.I had those records for years until one of my many house moves about 20 years later my late husband dropped the box by accident, and the whole lot smashed to smithereens .Needless to say my husband was in the doghouse for awhile.
I can remember the bus strike of the late 1950s as well.I was at Crofton Park Secondary school in Cranston Road and had to walk there from Sydenham as it was under 3 miles, and if it was over three miles then you could get off from school. No such luck it was 'Shanks Pony' for me.
Mind you, rarely did we get a bus anywhere, we seemed to walk all the time and not think about it.
I saw on one of the parts of the site about Rolf Harris ,he was a lovely chap and quite popular with almost everyone .One of our neighbours Luchere Brown had him paint a mural on her sitting room wall.Lucy was an italian lady who was married to an english man and very nice.I tasted my first spaghetti in her house around 1958.As far as I know she opened a tiny dress/fashion shop at the bottom of station approach in Sydenham right next door to the antique/junk shop in the station approach.That too was a great place to mooch about in.It had a figure by the door that was an african dressed as a butler where you had to put your cigarettes out on before you could go inside in case you burnt anything. It was full of intersting old bits and oieces and old comics which were sold for a few coppers.
Looking back it was a relatively simple life groing up in Sydenham, most people knew each other and there was rarely any trouble at all.You could walk down Sydenham Road at night on your own and no one bothered you, I live in Rainham in Kent now and although it's quite a quiet place I still wouldn't go out walking at night on my own .I dare say Sydenham has changed out of all recognition now.Still I suppose its progress of a sorts.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Explosive news: I was speaking with the Lewisham librarian and he said that one of the Meadowcroft houses in Perry Hill (southern most) was at one time--around the turn of the 20th century--a cinema! So that's another one to add to the list...
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Not quite so explosive; this was refered much higher up this thread when mentioning Sydenham's five cinemas:
The five cinemas referred to would be the Granada, Queen's Hall (Naborhood) and Rink in Silverdale that have already been referred to, and two very short-lived cinemas, Sydenham Picture Palace at 193 Kirkdale (only a cinema 1910-1911) and the Garden Cinema in Perry Hill, where Milverton House now is (1913-1914).
The Garden Cinema was in the Lower Sydenham Social Club which was at 1, Meadowcroft. In the 1930s this was renumbered to 244 Perry Hill, and I'm delighted to see that there is a picture of it in your link.
kinopravda

Map of old cinemas across Lewisham

Post by kinopravda »

You might be interested to know that the Brockley Jack Film Club has published an interactive map of former cinema venues across the borough of Lewisham, including Sydenham:

http://brockleyjackfilmclub.co.uk/2010/ ... -lewisham/
brian stimson

Post by brian stimson »

nannyjacks wrote:Do you mean St Brelades cafe, it was turned into a second-hand car sales place, and the bloke that ran it eventually got sent down for running a house of ill-repute.
a.k.a. 'a knocking shop'. I think he was an ex-footballer :lol: :shock:
I remember the St. Brelades Cafe well from about 1956 just down the road from St. Bartholomews School, we gathered there parking our motorbikes on the path ouside. I think the chap who owned it/served there always had a fag in his mouth (hygienic eh!) but I suspect it gave us immunity to horrible deceases.
kinopravda

Re: CINEMAS IN SYDENHAM

Post by kinopravda »

The Brockley Jack Film Club (http://brockleyjackfilmclub.co.uk/) has posted some photomontages of Lewisham's lost cinemas, including the Narborhood Cinema and the State/Granada Cinema:

The Queen’s Hall Electric Theatre, formerly 22-23 Empire Parade in Sydenham. Opened in 1910. Later re-named the Classic Cinema, then the Naborhood Cinema. Closed in 1943 after being damaged by bombing. Demolished in 1953. The site is now occupied by the the Post Office and the Narborhood Centre (whose name was inspired by the cinema’s last name).

The State Cinema, Sydenham Road. Opened in 1931 with a capacity of over a thousand, taken over by the Granada chain in 1949 and then renamed the Granada, it closed in 1971 and was later demolished. The site, on the corner of Girton Road, is now occupied by Somerfield.

To see more: http://brockleyjackfilmclub.co.uk/lewis ... t-cinemas/