Roberts Cycles

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
robbieduncan

Roberts Cycles

Post by robbieduncan »

Last week my wife answered the door to a gentleman with a LCC business card who was writing an article on Robert Cycles. The company is still in business, based in Croydon (http://www.robertscycles.com). They are taking a break from making bike frames hence the article.

Much to our surprise the company used to be based in our house and, we've been told, they used to make frames in the basement. I've done a little research and can confirm the company used to be based here in the mid to late 70s. Does anyone on the forum remember this? Do you have any pictures of the workshop in the basement? I'd be very interested in anything you have (and eventually I'd like to own a bike with the Trewsbury Road logo).
stuart

Re: Roberts Cycles

Post by stuart »

Robbie,

Roberts is/was the cycle of choice in our club (The Anerley). I am one of the few without. Our ex-captain got one of the last display frames a few weeks ago in their clearance auction and here is a pic of it on its inaugural ride.

We have members who have been in the club over sixty years with memories to match so I will ask around for you.

Stuart
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

You can see the badge I am particularly interested on this bike: http://www.oldspokeshome.com/roberts-time-trail-1970s

I've seen a few photos from different angles and it says "21 Trewsbury Road Sydenham SE26. England"
stuart

Post by stuart »

I thougt I'd make the picture more accessible here:

I've circulated the club seeking more info. The older members are not always the fastest to respond to emails ... but I'll keep in touch. It would be great to get hold of a 'Sydenham Edition' if only to see off those old Penge Holdsworths! I shall keep my eyes peeled.

Stuart
stuart

Post by stuart »

BTW the '1881' on that jersey refers to the founding of the Anerley Bicycle Club in 1881 by some old Dulwich College schoolboys (girls were not allowed until the 1960s). Anerley two great claims to fame was the home and seat of Thomas Crapper (of bog fame) and being at that time on the edge of London was a convenient place to ride off into the countryside and hence the origin of the the second most continuously existing cycle club.

They actually started from the old Robin Hood pub - now an Aldi. Two other local clubs - the Sydenham Wheelers and Catford Cycle Club have, like us, moved out with the spread of London - us to Purley and t'others to Orpington and Farnborough but still retain the old names. Its ironic I still have to cycle through Anerley on the way to our official start.

And if anyone wants to join in rides through beautiful Kent, Surrey and Sussex and conversational pace - we don't do speed and our only annual race is a downhill freewheel (pedal and you are disqualified!) drop me a PM.

More here: http://anerleybc.org

Stuart
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Stuart,

Once I get my bike out of the basement (a Condor: would I be welcome :p) I might join you. I have some sort of trapped nerve right now but hopefully it'll sort itself out!

Regards,
Robbie