Flood @ Sydenham High Street (29-Jun-1907)

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Flood @ Sydenham High Street (29-Jun-1907)

Post by Falkor »

These four photos are pretty poor quality, so can anyone figure out exactly which part of the high street, and from which viewpoint they were taken?

A - what is the turning on the right?

B - what is the turning on the left?

C - I think that's a turning on the left?

D - which direction is the photographer facing?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I have a higher resolution picture of one of the images:
The photographer is standing on the corner of Elderton Road, facing towards Bell Green. Home Park is opposite. I would imagine the others are in the same area.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

If there was any doubt as to why high resolution images are far superior to low res, including the difference in detail, then just take a look above! Once again Steve sets the standard for image posting. I, personally, can appreciate Steve's contributions to this forum more than most, as I know from experience that the average price of a postcard is about £5. Original photos or postcards featuring incredibly rare views of the kind generally posted by Steve can fetch anywhere between £8, £25 or even £70--like the recent one that appeared on Ebay of the Prince Alfred taken a little further up the high street!

Home Park looks a lot different in those early days! The wall hadn't yet been laid, nor the bushes formed. I don't know what all that stuff is at the side of the road. The building at the end, on the park side, is probably the most interesting, architecturally, out of those featured in the set of photos above. I've seen an illustration for it and maybe another low-res pic, but I doubt it was photographed up close before demolition. In fact, there's many buildings along Sydenham Road that seemed to have been demolished in late/early 19C/20C, respectively, without having their photograph taken; for example, there was the *very large* building that stood on the same site as Sydenham Children's Hospital--I believe it was called The Lawn. Anyway, the floods sure looked severe!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Found an old photo of Home Park...
Reg Oneil

Sydenham High Street

Post by Reg Oneil »

May I make an observation that during the years that I lived in Sydenham 1920 -1961) What was known as the High Street was the area around the "
Woodman" at the top-end of Kirkdale. (Wells Road, up to the Woodman.)
From Bell Green up to Sydenham Station was named "Sydenham Road"
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

You are absolutely right, Reg. The original High Street also continued into Dartmouth Road, as far as the police station. In fact, the High Street was the original shopping centre, from the 1820s, for the whole of Sydenham and Forest Hill.

Until the 1930s the present Kirkdale was called "Sydenham Hill Road" from the top of Sydenham Hill down to Dartmouth Road and "High Street, Sydenham" from Dartmouth Road to Wells (Park) Road. Only the lower part, down to the railway line, was called Kirkdale.
wingysc

Floods

Post by wingysc »

Steve,

I think the high res picture, is on the corner of Larkbere Road looking towards Bell Green, not Elderton Rd. There was a hardwareshop there on that corner, when I was a kid, the name of which escapes me. But I think the libarry building and park gates would have been visable on the park side if it was Elderton Road?
regoneil

sydenham flood

Post by regoneil »

Steve
I agree with you, that is absolutely correct,
I also agree with the following message re Larkbere Road, we called the hardware shop the "Oil Shop" where I used to purchase a weekly gallon of parafin for an old lady who used it for cooking on a small stove.
Re the flood, I was told by my elders, as a kid, that Sydenham was flooded due to one of the resevoir tanks, (that fed the founyains in the palace) burst and flooded Sydenham.
Re the picture asking the name of the road on the right, I am certain that it was Elderton Road and the shops depicted were, in the late 20's{
The one with the blind down was a greengrocer's, (Chambers, if I remember correctly), nexr, coming up the road, was "Mr. Bedford's" the sweetshop, very popular with us kids, next was a haberdashers then on the corner, an off-licence,
Then Elderton Road with "Charlie Clarks family Grocer" (No 12 on my sketch) with "Jacobs" toyshop next (No 11) then we come to what you may call as the Broadway.
These were a block of flats that would appear to heve been designated for shops with accommadation above, (with access from the rear via iron staircases), but the shop areas became flats, hence an unusual facade which appeared as what would have looked like the area where the shop name woud have appeared.
My wfe and I sat the other evening trying to remember the names of all the shops down the Sydenham road and we were very surprised how our memories come back.
One thing more. I well remember the area around Bell Green, as being a member of the Scout movement (6th. Sydenham B.P, Troop) we met in St. Michael's Hall Bell Green next door to the public slipper baths (not many houses in that part had a bathroom) Next in turn,to the public house called "the Bell", Situated in front of the slipper baths was a Blue Police Box.( Dr. Who).
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Thanks, wingysc and Reg. You are correct, the view is from the corner of Larkbeare Road. My only excuse is that somebody had written "Elderton Road" on the back of the picture, and I accepted it without checking.

During the 1930s the shop on the corner of Larkbeare Road was called Edmonds. I am full of admiration for your memory, Reg. I can confirm that you are right about the names of the shops, but I cheat; I have a collection of Kelly's directories which list all the houses and shops in Sydenham, giving the name of the householder. Invaluable, but no substitute for a good memory.
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

I just found this..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2212/223 ... 3172_o.jpg

(the 1968 flood, taken at Winsford Rd)
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

That's a good find; where'd you dig that one up from, Will? I still need time to place it though...
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I think it is looking towards the footbridge over the Pool river. The site of Orchard Cottages is on the left, a children's playground is on the right. In the distance, over the railway bridge, are houses on the Bellingham estate.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

It definitely looks different to today... the row of houses I would have expected to see to the left must not have been built at the time the photo was taken.

I was checking out some photos of the Ladywell floods the other day... unbelieveable!
kward

Photos

Post by kward »

I have just registered with the forum so pleaae excuse the difference in time between your question and my answer.

I think B is Elderton Road, the view is looking towards Upper Sydenham and the shop with the blind down is likely to Arthur Bedford's sweet shop and the shop to the left of the road entry would be Clarks the grocer. As a boy I used to wait outside for the muffin man to call on his rounds.

C is, I believe looking just past the Childrens Hospital looking towards Bell Green. The blind over the shops on the left would be Blundens the green grocer. I cant remember the name of the road but on the right of the entry was Ashleys the Bakers. Opposite was a road that led towards Portcawe Rd with Waghorns the rag and bone man on the left. Opposite him was the sign for the Sydney Arms Off licence still standing after the premises were destroyed in the war.

KW
g killick

porthcawe road

Post by g killick »

Does anybody know anything about my Grandfather? I believe he was a General Dealer (Rag and Bone man) on Porthcawe Road in the late 1920's. I don't know his first name, but the surname was Killick. I would love to hear any stories anyone may have.
PS The stories I have read and the pictures are fascinating.
Thank you
rolyevans

Re: porthcawe road

Post by rolyevans »

g killick wrote:Does anybody know anything about my Grandfather? I believe he was a General Dealer (Rag and Bone man) on Porthcawe Road in the late 1920's. I don't know his first name, but the surname was Killick. I would love to hear any stories anyone may have.
Thank you
We must be related because my grandfather lived in Porthcawe Road
- his name was Rowland Killick. My mum Norah Killick is still alive and she lived in Porthcawe Road at that time. His brother were William, Harry, Walter
and Arthur.
Click on this website and see the family tree going back to the 1500's
http://www.j-killick.pwp.blueyonder.co. ... report.htm
rolyevans

Re: porthcawe road

Post by rolyevans »

g killick wrote:Does anybody know anything about my Grandfather? I believe he was a General Dealer (Rag and Bone man) on Porthcawe Road in the late 1920's. I don't know his first name, but the surname was Killick. I would love to hear any stories anyone may have.
Thank you
Have you got your dad's birth certificate? This will show who your grand
father was.
Greyhoundman

Re: Flood @ Sydenham High Street (29-Jun-1907)

Post by Greyhoundman »

Hi All
Just registered.
One of my relatives George Thomas Tye, his wife Sarah Francis Tye lived at number 28 Sydenham High Street in 1911.
They had a daughter Edith, Son George and twins Frederick and Edward.
George Thomas Tye was a Carriage Builder, Engineer and employer, so guess he had a workshop nearby.
Does anyone have info on a carriage works in Sydenham??
Thanks in advance.
Greyhoundman.
jackieboo

Re: Flood @ Sydenham High Street (29-Jun-1907)

Post by jackieboo »

by g killick » 22 Mar 2010 23:03

Does anybody know anything about my Grandfather? I believe he was a General Dealer (Rag and Bone man) on Porthcawe Road in the late 1920's. I don't know his first name, but the surname was Killick. I would love to hear any stories anyone may have.
Thank youg killick

I went to school with a Debbie Killick in the 70's from Sydenham if that's any help.