Falkor's virtual tour of the Egyptian Court (Crystal Palace)

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Corodevi

Re: Falkor's virtual tour of the Egyptian Court (Crystal Pal

Post by Corodevi »

I very much enjoyed my visit through your virtual tour of the Egyptian Court. How could I get permission to add a link to it in a footnote for the (pro-bono, open access) journal Nineteenth-Century Art Worldwide. It is a review of an Orientalism show now in Munich and headed for Marseille. Your photos would give the reader a wonderful gallery of views of the court. I could link on the word Sydenham, for example, which might allow them to see other material available. Any chance? Thanks so much for the beautiful visit.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

No worries; go ahead! Just send us the link to your review once you have published it. Glad you enjoyed the page. I forgot I had even done it, and it could probably do with an update, though very few pics have surfaced since then.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

FYI: The Egyptian Court @ Crystal Palace is featured in an article of this month's Ancient Egypt magazine
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Some Photochrom postcards that came up recently on ebay. these would date from the 1920's.

The scale model of Abu Simbel.

The right-hand side of the northern entrance from the Inner Court to the Greek and Roman Gallery.

The eastern side of the same corner. The western side of the Karnak columns begins to the right.

The other end of the west side of the inner court with the columns from Karnak. A slice of the tomb of Beni Hassan can be seen on the right.

in front are casts of the Prudhoe Lions which originally formed an avenue tot he entrance to the Eguyptian Court. The orriginals are now in the British Museum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudhoe_Lions

Last edited by tulse hill terry on 28 Jun 2012 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Designing Antiquity Owen Jones, Ancient Egypt and the Crystal Palace Stephanie Moser

http://yalebooks.co.uk/display.asp?K=9780300187076#
In the 19th century, designers became involved in the public presentation of the past, focusing specifically on the decoration of historical monuments. By exploring ornamental designs and the way they represented the cultural concerns of distant civilizations, and in addressing how colour may have originally been applied to exteriors and interiors, designers animated the past and incited a new passion for the ancient world. A crucial figure in this movement was the designer and architect Owen Jones (1809-1874), who from the 1830s until his death pioneered the study of ancient ornament and its central role in historical traditions of art. Particularly significant were the series of Fine Arts Courts that Jones designed in 1854 for the Crystal Palace's relocation to Sydenham. The ten displays on the great cultures of the ancient world featured detailed recreations of palaces and courts. "Designing Antiquity" focuses on Jones' Egyptian Court, which produced a fundamental shift in the way Egyptian art was understood in the second half of the 19th century.