Family History: Wells Road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Hilts

Family History: Wells Road

Post by Hilts »

Hello

I'm new to the forum having recently discovered it on a web search. I have found it very interesting, especially the old photographs members have posted.

I have been researching my family history on and off since 1980 and am currently, once again, trying to sort out my father's direct line: SMITH ( :roll: ). They appear in many censuses and GRO certificates in and around Wells Road - notably Dallas Road, Springfield and Rowland Grove.

On a couple of documents the address appears as Windsor Terrace, Wells Road. I have not been able to pin this down. Please can someone tell me where this is/was?

Thank you

Kim (Smith)
RJM

Re: Family History: Wells Road

Post by RJM »

Ask Lewisham Archives to check a Kelly's directory for the dates you have. Directories show where terraces within a main road are. Failing that, an electoral register for the right date might do it.
local.studies@lewisham.gov.uk
Hilts

Post by Hilts »

Thank you RJM - will try!

Kim
marymck

Post by marymck »

I believe Windsor Terrace was renamed as Plane Street in 1912. But I think the houses may have fallen victim to post WW2 redevelopment, as I think they are all modern houses there now. I have some old maps, so will double check.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Wise words by all.

I know the area of WPR suffered badly by bombing and the 60's urge by Lewisham Council to pull down everything.

Best place to look is the Records Office in Lewisham Library , top floor.

Excellent maps and many old directories.