Photo`s of Wiverton Rd street party in 1953

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
lucy scott

Photo`s of Wiverton Rd street party in 1953

Post by lucy scott »

I live in Essex and have recently found 2 photo`s (copies) showing the residents of Wiverton Road, Sydenham at a 1953 Coronation street party.
One has a heading that reads `The little boy in the front centre is Don Vaughan aged 3`.

I would be interested to find someone through this forum with a connection to Don Vaughan or anyone interested in having these photos.
Michael Viner

Re: Photo`s of Wiverton Rd street party in 1953

Post by Michael Viner »

Lucy-I'm a friend of Don Vaughn.Don has copies of the photo,as do I..Don does'nt have a computer,but I'll be happy to pass on any message to him.You can contact me privately,if you wish.
Kind Regards,Michael
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

Lucy-If you found these photos in a charity shop or junk shop,I think I know how this happened;a good friend of Don and I sadly passed away earlier this year ,his name was Peter Edis (1945-2017) a lifelong Sydenham resident who had an interest in Sydenham local history among other things .His house was cleared a while ago and i suspect a lot of his stuff-he was a great collector,with a house full of it-will now be finding it's way into charity shops etc. Interesting they turned up in Essex,though!
lucy scott

Post by lucy scott »

Thank you for your replies Michael.
The photos were in a frame and in a mixed lot I acquired from a house clearance stall at a local car boot sale.
I didn`t want to just discard the photos if they are of any interest to anyone and I`m glad to hear there are other copies around.
It`s such a shame when some possessions end up like this but its been interesting to look into the history a little.

Thanks again and my best wishes to Mr Vaughn.

Lucy.
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

Lucy-Thanks.Yes,the framed photo of the Wiverton Rd. 53' Coronation Party was one of the pictures which hung in poor old Pete's(RIP) downstairs hallway just a matter of months ago.I remember it well.It's very sad to think that all the things he collected over the years are now being dispersed.It's poignant,and fitting in a way, to think that some of his stuff is now ending up in car boot sales, as much of it came from boot sales in the first place(the great early days of boot sales in the 1980's and early 90's which Pete, Don ,John S.and I went to as friends)
I'll pass on your good wishes to Don,the little boy in the photo;he's now 67 .His mum Nora,who is also in the photo is still around,approaching 90, but not in good health following a stroke;in fact Don is her full-time carer,doing an admirable job.