Rolls-Royce in Sydenham

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Steve Grindlay

Rolls-Royce in Sydenham

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I recently came across this picture in a book called "Performance Cars":

I cannot find where it was taken; clearly it was going towards the crest of Sydenham Hill, and was probably on its way to an exhibition at the Crystal Palace. My best guess is that it was on Sydenham Hill, where it rises steeply between Sydenham Rise and the Kirkdale roundabout.

If anybody can confirm this, or offer an better alternative, I promise I will answer <Nicholas' question>
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

In the early seventies, when I first becme interested in local history, I worked with a man who used to do hill climbing as a motor sport. He told me that Jasper road was the one that the early drivers used. If I get time I will take a photo and do a comparison as I think the road is unspoilt.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

You could be right. I was thinking/hoping it was this, northern, end of Sydenham Hill, but that makes more sense. Thanks ever so much. I will also take a look myself.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Just been up to Jasper road and it is definitely the place, even the decorative pattern on the wall is still there. I took some photos but could'nt download them, I thought I could drag them across but to no avail. Any ideas on how it's done?
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Quite a feeling standing there!
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Brilliant, MartinH. Thanks for that; the friend who told me about it will be delighted. I've just been there too, and here's the picture to prove it:
I will now tell those who need to know, <how to get into heaven>