The Lewisham High Street Stream

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

The Lewisham High Street Stream

Post by Falkor »

You know about the stream that ran from Lewisham to Rushey Green, along the high street, crossed by bridges at intervals between greens? It dried up when the sewage system was installed. Well, I'm wondering exactly where this stream ended? Initially, I assumed it terminated at Catford around the Broadway area, where there used to be several large ponds (shown on the 1862 Stanford map). Well, I'm now wondering if it might have carried on down Bromley Road!? :shock:

How bizarre!? It's like Catford's history goes to back to some fairytale past or something... Now you know why I'm so interested; this high street stream business has got me hooked--coupled with the fact that there was once three moated houses. I wonder where the stream really came to an end? There was a place called Frog Island not far from where PC World is (I'm always pointing it out to my friend on the bus); here, a channel of the River Ravensboure once came right up to Bromley Road.
nannyjacks

Post by nannyjacks »

Is it a tributary to the Quaggy in Lewisham that ran parrallel with the High Street outside Chiesmans
brian stimson

Post by brian stimson »

nannyjacks wrote:Is it a tributary to the Quaggy in Lewisham that ran parrallel with the High Street outside Chiesmans
I remember the Quaggy (1951) very well, I went to Colfe's School and we would take our shoes and socks off and paddle before wasting time roaming around Chiesman's store before catching the 75 bus to Sydenham or have I imagined it all
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

nannyjacks wrote:Is it a tributary to the Quaggy in Lewisham that ran parrallel with the High Street outside Chiesmans
I don't think so. The Quaggy flows from the direction of Lee Green and is a tributary of the Ravensbourne, which it joins somewhere near Lewisham station. The Ravensbourne runs close to Bromley Road, feeding the Homebase pond. It flows on through Ladywell Fields and Lewisham before discharging into the Thames at Deptford Creek.