Question for Terry

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Question for Terry

Post by Falkor »

Have you done as much research into the history of Penge as you have done for the Crystal Palace? How interested in Penge are you? If you ever were to write a book about Crystal Palace, would you consider covering Penge in the first half?
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

No plans for a book, I don't think there's much of a market for another book on the Palace.

I havn't researched Penge at all, my area of interest goes up to the Palace, hence the name, which I've carried over from the VirtualNorwood site. I am always interested in London history generally, though most books seem so short of maps.

I'll leave the southeast of England in your capable hands! :lol:
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

though most books seem so short of maps.
Core, tell me about it... you are so right! Damn, I feel like I want to rant about this so much... I could talk about it all day, reviewing all my local history books, including the one on Deptford. I could tell you about the world history atlas I picked up the other day solely because it included maps on every page... Oh mate, where do I start? I'm in a complete muddle! *Falkor wisely removes his fingertips from the keyboard*
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Contour maps are the best!

The one in one of the canal books made it so clear why the canal took the route it did for example. I'm so used to hilly areas suprise, suprise!

Tulse Hill, for example, was covered in Georgian mansions and villas to catch the views over to the city. All now gone of course.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Terry, could you please explain then why the canal took the route that it did?
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

it was mainly to stay as near to level, on the same contour line as much as possible, with embankments to keep it true.
The area around devonshire rd, where it makes a double loop accross a shallow valley is more dofficult to explain, but I would imagine that was to do with ownership and permissions, rather than Geography.