pubs now gone

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
MartinH

pubs now gone

Post by MartinH »

I'm sure that I saw a thread on this site about pubs in the area which have either been demolished or have had a change of use. I recollect that, on the list, there had been a pub in Stanstead road, number 271 or 291. Can anyone help?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

That's interesting... I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the surviving building now... (271 Stanstead Road)
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Thanks for that Falkor--I shall have a look on my way to work in the morning.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Yeah, when I go nature reserve, I must remember to check out some of these ex-pub buildings myself.
MartinH

271 Stanstead road The Prince Of Wales

Post by MartinH »

271 Stanstead road looks very interesting. A detatched building which has undergone changes to the front elevation, probably in the late 20,s. Sits quite high and back from the road.I think this could have some hidden treasures and intrigue. I wonder if the present occupants are aware of it's history-only one way to find out!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I walk down Stanstead Road all the time. I never had the foggiest inkling about this other pub. I knew about the Swiss of course, and the others.

Damn, there's always something new to learn about the history of Sydenham and Forest Hill! 271 has certainly intrigued me.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

This is a rather poor picture of the building:

After it ceased to be a pub in 1872 it became a laundry until about 1908. By the 1920s it had been divided into two flats - I imagine that was when the changes mentioned by MartinH were made.