The Origin Of Sydenham Hill

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

The Origin Of Sydenham Hill

Post by Falkor »

I've been pondering the origin of Sydenham Hill after realising that the Crystal Palace came to Penge--not Sydenham! Somebody once suggested that the palace came to Sydenham Heights or the ridge of Sydenham Hill, including Crystal Palace Parade, in terms of the topographical feature. However, there is one problem! What gives us the right to describe any part of this hill, other than the street sign-posted as such, Sydenham Hill? Why not Dulwich Hill? Why not Lambeth Hill? Why not Penge Hill? Why not Croydon Hill? Why not Gipsy Hill? Why not Norwood Heights? All those prefixed places met along the ridge of the same hill top.

Sydenham goes back to medieval times atleast, but as late as the 17th century it referred only to Perry Hill and Lower Sydenham. Upper Sydenham was known as Westwood Common (woods at the west of Lewisham parish). When was "Sydenham Hill" first mentioned? Had it been described as anything else before that? Perhaps it only came about as an address for the pre-1843 houses, such as The Wood, being built there across the ridge. By then, Sydenham Common had already been established and subsequently enclosed. I wonder if the hill was known by an ancient name, and like the palace's official location, had it's identification stolen by Sydenhamites.

Disclaimer: discussion about Sydenham Hill train station is forbidden in this topic.
Falkor

Re: The Origin Of Sydenham Hill

Post by Falkor »

I've been thinking about Sydenham Hill/Dulwich Woods lately, which were part of the Great North Wood, and studying several maps. Other than public footpaths it seems there was no easy way for traffic to pass through the woods other than to go around them via the Green Man, Lordship Lane (in the north) or Vicar's Oak, Norwood triangle (in the south). Before Fountain Drive was created I've been speculating how easy it might have been to go from the hamlet of Dulwich to the hamlet of Penge via Penge Lane (as Fountain Drive was known) through Old Cople Lane before the development of Crystal Palace Park road when Westwood Hill seemed quite insubstantial. In fact, looking at maps it may have acted as the main central thoroughfare through the woods with the possibility of passing traffic, but then what was the significance of the Fountain Drive development: it went from lane to road? Would be interested to see some old illustrations of this "Penge Lane" (not to be confused with the other Penge Lane), and I'm pretty sure some views could be attributed to this, but have to try to find them again.

Another observation I've made is that Sydenham, Penge and Norwood commons seem to have once been wooded and part of the North Wood. The local Kent parishioners had cleared their part of the woods up to the ridge of Sydenham Hill, ie. the parish boundary, but Camberwell parishioners did not feel the need to clear their side of the woods (or create commons/coppices as far as their side of the boundary)! I don't think there's a geological explanation why woods would only grow on one side of a hill?