High Bank (house?), Panmure Road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
AndrewsFamilyHistory

High Bank (house?), Panmure Road

Post by AndrewsFamilyHistory »

Hello there,
I am researching my family history and believe my Great Grandfather George Andrews lived here in the mid to late 1800s, with my Grandmother Eleanor Andrews (maiden name Monnery). Does anyone have any information - either about the house or the family?
Really appreciate your time!
BingBong

Re: High Bank (house?), Panmure Road

Post by BingBong »

Hi Andrew, I presume you've already seen this post from the Town Forum last October? It's under the 'Panmure Road' topic and the special collections link does indeed show your George Andrews there in 1896.

Re: Panmure Road
Unread post by RJM » 18 Oct 2020 20:11

Have a look at https://www.layersoflondon.org/ - you can layer old maps over the current one, and it includes the bomb damage maps and the post-war RAF aerial photos of London. The aerial photos are incredible for the road as it shows the bomb damage really clearly. The older maps (1890s) also show the names of some of the big houses.

If you look at this site, it has old directories which tell you who lived in the named houses: http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digi ... 597/rec/21 The link should take you to the page with Panmure Road details from the 1890s if I've done it right! I could probably find out more about the residents if you'd like, let me know.
AndrewsFamilyHistory

Re: High Bank (house?), Panmure Road

Post by AndrewsFamilyHistory »

Hi again,

Thank you so much for your reply to my post - and please accept my apologies for this extremely tardy reply! Life slightly took a whirl the last year or so, but has settled again now. I'm also relatively unfamiliar with Forums so have had to get myself up to speed a bit.
I have looked at the Special Collections page and taken some detailed info re: 'High Bank's position on the road. The date of 1896 is a great help too and fits in well with info that I already have. The Layers of London website is a great tool, though the image was a bit grainy to really make out the separate houses in detail. You said previously that you might be able to obtain some details about the residents of 'High Bank' - yes please - that would be hugely appreciated! One correction to my initial post - Eleanor Andrews is my Great grandmother, not my Grandmother (she was married to Great Grandfather George Andrews).
Once again - thank you, I really appreciate all of this.