The 'German' bridge

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Big Ben

The 'German' bridge

Post by Big Ben »

On another website... (SE23.com actually!) people are discussing the 'German' bridge - presumably the footbridge over the railway from Dacres Road to Sydenham Park. Anyone know why it's so-called?
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Because of the German church that stands on the 'Sydenham side'???

:?:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I've often wondered about that church i.e. do many people still go? I did search for their website but there is very little on it apart from their newsletters which are all in German but the photos in it did indicate a fair number of people do attend (although perhaps not all live locally).
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thomas
I agree not many live locally and even the pasteur comes from North London. The services they do have I believe are well supported as they often get tourists etc.
Not sure of current situation but know other churches have used the building when not being used by the Lutherans.
When at F H School in early 60's I learnt German and we went to Carol Service.
jackieboo

Post by jackieboo »

We used to walk over the "wooden bridge" or "German Bridge" on the way to Sydenham Girls School when we'd walked through Mayow park in the 70's. We were "flashed" by a man in the church doorway on our way home once, of course being innocent at 14 we didn't know what he was doing or what we were seeing but weren't upset at all.

It was a case of either spending 5p bus fare or walking.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I grew up in Germany (from roughly the age of 11-16). I consider(ed) myself quite fluent and certainly had many truly wonderful times in Germany. I always find the strong German influence in Sydders quite fascinating.

Does anyone know why the 'link' even exists? Was there a large German community at one point? It's quite intriguing, isn't it?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Greg
There was a large German community here especially second half of 19th century. Infact The German Ambassador had a country retreat on Sydenham him.
There are a number of roads locally with German origins especially of course Tannsfeld Rd
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

There was an earlier thread about the German ambassador's home - no evidence of one in Sydenham despite plenty of talk about it
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

it's the one up on westwood hill with the eagle on top isn't it?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

This is the thread I was talking about:
http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 46ce9766c3

All very interesting. Another thing worth noting is that Dietrich Bonhoeffer (hero to Kevin Rudd for the Aussies amongst you) was pastor at the German church in the 1930s before returning to Germany and eventually being executed in the dying days of Nazi rule for complicity in the plot to kill Hitler.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree could be just an old story about The Imperial Ambassador but heard from so many even older locals than me ( of course does not mean it is correct ).
What evidence would you expect to find now. Probably been demolished in the terrible 60's and early 70's when Syd Hill savaged by modernist.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Eagle wrote:Yes Greg
There was a large German community here especially second half of 19th century. Infact The German Ambassador had a country retreat on Sydenham him.
There are a number of roads locally with German origins especially of course Tannsfeld Rd
Aber kennst du die antworte warum, mein schatze?

My written Deutsche is abhorrent but I'm trying to ask [sort of] "but do you know the reason why, my friend"
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 13 Oct 2008 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

I once read somewhere, not sure where though, that the shape of the lakes in Sydenham Wells Park were laid out in a similar layout as the Rhine River, due to the amount of Germans living in the area at the time?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'm trying to ask [sort of] "but do you know the reason why, my friend"
According to the Joan Alcock book about Sydenham and Forest Hill (well worth reading by the way) one possible reason for the large number of Germans (well over 200 at one point) was the proximity to Crystal Palace, where large numbers of concerts took place (there was a German conductor there) plus you had various merchants and businessmen who settled in London and made Sydenham their home (it being a rather posh area at the time).
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Of course! Now you write it Thomas it makes perfect sense. I'll have to purchase the Alcock book as I have the John Coulter version.

It may well be mentioned in that book also mind as I shamefully haven't read it fully from cover to cover. :oops: