Sydenham Common related address - What happened to it?

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
treetop

Sydenham Common related address - What happened to it?

Post by treetop »

On a 1946 birth certificate the parent’s address appears to read
2 Common Old Drive, Sydenham.

Given that Sydenham Common as a land mass had essentially disappeared before the 20th Century it seemed an out of place name to still exist in 1946.

I have tried: Internet searches for the name . . . looking at a current London A-Z . . . and a map that claims to show Sydenham in 1940 (but its quality and scope was limited) . . . but I have had no success in finding a reference to the address or its location.

Does anyone know the history of the address, e.g., does it still exist? If not, was it renamed - demolished and if either of the latter what would be the equivalent current day location?

Thanks for any input.
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

Maybe its Sydenham in Oxfordshire you need?
Highfield

Post by Highfield »

Could it be 2 Old Drive, Sydenham Common? Perhaps that exists or existed at one point. Here's an image map of Sydenham Common:- http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lewishamh ... 7666462850
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I've never come across a Sydenham street name remotely like Common Old Drive and certainly Kelly's directories show nothing like that. There was a road called The Drive but that was renamed Hall Drive in the 1930s. Upper Sydenham was still referred to as Sydenham Common until the 1850s or a bit later but "Common" was rarely used after the 1860s. I think catscratch is right; are you sure it was this Sydenham that the certificate refers to?
treetop

Post by treetop »

Hello:

Thank you all for your previous response.

I have since learned the address was a mismatch of words . . . The address was intended to read
2 Cumnor (not Common) The Drive (not Old Drive) Sydenham.

Can you tell me anything about “Cumnor”, e.g., was it a house, a specific area of Sydenham, origins of its name?

I found some references to it on the Internet but none of them provide any information about what it was.

Some Monumental Inscriptions of St Bartholomew's Church, Sydenham
http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Resea ... ham/01.htm
297. Plaque (west end, near entrance) To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Oliver John STONE BSc London 2nd Lieut. Royal Field Artillery, youngest son of Edward Mulready and Alice Maria STONE of Cumnor, Sydenham, who died in France . . .

The Stone Family Connection with William Mulready R.A.
http://www.williamhunter.co.uk/MULREADY/mulready.htm
Edward Mulready Stone, the subject of this drawing, was born in 1845 and was the eldest child of John Jefferies Stone and Mary Mulready Stone. He married Alice Maria Browning and they had a family of six sons and one daughter (Muriel Frances) and lived at Cumnor, The Drive, Sydenham. Muriel married . . .

Stone of Bedfords
http://www.accessgenealogy.com/scripts/ ... ID=0002329
A) Edward Mulready: of Cumnor, The Drive, Sydenham; b.
1845; m., 1872, Alice Maria Browning. . . .
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

Cannot help with the rest, but I have found this site
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?
to be about the best on the net for finding out about a serving soldier in WW1.
Someone there will be able to point you to the relevant records, or even have them at hand.
treetop

Post by treetop »

Hello Catscratch

I fear I have confused matters . . . the examples I gave of websites was purely to illustrate the existence (prior existence) of the name Cunmore within in Sydenham . . . and they had nothing to do with trying to identy any of the persons mentioned in the website links.

All I want to find out is what was Cunmore - a house - a part of Sydenham - how did it get its name - where was within Sydenham.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

Thank you for your interest.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Is it Cumnor that you are referring to?

If so, that was the name of a house on the Lawrie Park estate, between Hall Drive and Lawrie Park Avenue. It was built in about 1862 and originally called "The Downs". It was on the site of the present 21-27 Hall Drive.

Your references were correct; Edward Mulready Stone live there from about 1884 until his death in 1926. After the death of his widow it was divided into flats and demolished, probably in the 1960s.
treetop

Post by treetop »

Steve

Thank you for that input.

Yes, it is Cumnor that I was (should have been) referring to and your input has enabled me to learn that the Stone Family perhaps had an association with Cumnor in Berkshire.

I now have the information I was hoping for.