Perry Vale Fire Station

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
bensonby

Perry Vale Fire Station

Post by bensonby »

When did the Old Fire Station close down? When was it built?

Are there any photos of it in operation over the years?

I was just going past this morning and took the time to have a look at it - it really is magnificent. Its so easy to take our surroundings for granted sometimes!
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

It's a fine building and is mentioned in Pevsner (London 2: South, Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner): 'By the LCC Fire Brigade's Dept, 1901-2. An especially picturesque example of its type. Fanciful octagonal tower.' I'm fairly certain it is locally listed; not sure when it closed down but I think it's been used recently as Council offices.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Just looked at Steve Grindlay's thread on Listed Buildings in Lewisham and I'm delighted to add that the Fire Station is listed Grade II.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It is a nice building , I agree ( a lot better than that confounded Louise House which has not got EH protection ).
Many years since it was a fire station I believe. Used to be also a home for wayward ladies.
Guess they could make some nice flats in that building.
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

There's a photo of it on the Images of England website: http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Detai ... mode=quick

The flats upstairs were apparently occupied by firemen's families until the 1970s (someone who lived there at that time recently posted on one of the local forums - either this one or SE23.com). I seem to recall the flats still being used until the 1980s or 1990s (although I may be wrong on that), I assumed by Council tenants. Downstairs was used as offices for the housing department for a while, also the local councillors used to hold surgeries there. Most recently Lewisham were using the offices for an archiving/scanning project but they have now vacated it and the building is empty. Apparently it is now on the Council's list of buildings to be disposed of.