The Crystal Palace from the back (front?)

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Paxton, I'm afraid this is all I can come up with. It is copied from "To the Crystal Palace" by C T Goode (1984). The caption suggests it was taken in 1954, so it is not even early enough for you:
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Crystal Palace Lower Level Station from a little further back.

The colonnade as seen in "The Pleasure Garden" 1953. I hear the BFI is working on releasing it on DVD later in the year.

As originally posted in Falkor's thread.

http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... 5450c03074

The fate of the South Wing and Railway Colonade was identical, vandalism via fire. It's clear from some of the books on the motorcycle track that the motivation to demolish the obsolete colonade was to allow access for the race track between the Canadian Parliament Building [itself burnt down by vandals] and the railway track.
Last edited by tulse hill terry on 7 Feb 2009 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
tulse hill terry

And there's this for the Crystal Palace Station High level.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/35mm-SLIDES-RUINS ... 240%3A1318

and the Parade under snow.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CRYSTAL-PALACE-PA ... 240%3A1318
Paxton

Post by Paxton »

Thanks Steve and Terry.

I guess that parade of shops disappeared inbetween the two wars, did it?

In the photos I've seen taken in 1940 it's certainly not there, so maybe bombing in 1940?

I wonder if there's a comprehensive railway photo library somewhere. I'm fascinated with the building in some ways - it seems to be the most complex survivor of the palace.

Thanks very much for your time and effort. Can't wait to see that DVD, I've looked everywhere on the internet for it.
tulse hill terry

Arrived a bit late to be topical!
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

Paxton wrote: Do either of you have any photos of the Railway Colonade or the Low Level Station? I believe that it had a glass canopy until about 1905. I've never seen a photo of the station until 1940 and never come across an promotional material, official photos, paintings etc.

before roof was removed:

and some others of the station:
Image[/img]
Paxton

Post by Paxton »

Thank you so much!

I'd kind of given up on this thread - didn't seem as though even Terry and Steve had further photos of the Lower Level.

The first photo you posted is amazing.. It's going to take me ages to take it all in. Do you have any moreof the station inside?

Also, this is for everyone - have you seen the wire fencing that's recently been applied to the Parade wall?

I'd like to know how many people have fallen down there since 1865-odd... None? 1? If so, what the hell is the fence for?

It makes me cross. Again, there is no respect shown for the past. It would be better if Bromley Council eradicated all memory of the palace and park. It's so sad constantly to have to see it crumbling, incomplete and sometimes, just ruined by modern desires to make things 'safe'.
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

In the book:

Delamotte's - Crystal Palace by Ian Leith

there is one small photo of the Crystal Palace Lower Level Station from the inside and you can just see the roof of the station and middle platform. Will try scanning it in tomorrow, unless someone is willing to do it for me.
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

Here it is:

c 1860
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thankyou everyone for posting, it's great to see.

I greatly admire the victorians. They really celebrated the most mundane items.

The benches look beautifully designed and positioned and really look like they belong to the space. Everything looks designed for purpose and beauty. Even the brackets holding up the roof are beautiful!

It's a shame that today we stick some nasty generic (and very expensive) shelter that looks completely out of place on the platform. Thank god the new designs for the station get rid of the horrible 1980's fake pastiche crystal palace booking hall and remove clutter while restoring and sympathetically updating the station.
tulse hill terry

Finally found this in the last place I would have looked.

A platform at Crystal Palace Station - Lower level. It says ca. 1860's but the station dates from the 1870's, non?

The original caption "3324364 c1860 drawn w Mcconnell eng w shearer."

Getty has completely changed it's site over the years, and I find it easier to discover what they have through google than their own site. Yow will find it with the number that begins the caption though.
Paxton

Post by Paxton »

You're right Terry - 1875 the previous wooden station was rebuilt.
I think.

Now it's taken 4 months for them to build a new platform!
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

Surely there would be some photos of it in this book:

http://www.middletonpress.co.uk/details ... 3%2036%207
tulse hill terry

tulse hill terry

Re: The Crystal Palace from the back (front?)