The Crystal Palace from the back (front?)

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Paxton

The Crystal Palace from the back (front?)

Post by Paxton »

In researching the Crystal Palace, one gets used to finding many pictures of the Palace from the East (garden side). How is it that there are so few from the West (main entrance, parade side)?

The best pictures of the Main Entrance come from the Emile Zola book, in my opinion. Even then, though, they are not particularly clear. However, there seem to be many taken from the parade after 31st November, 1936...

Did no-one take official pictures from the parade, showing the entrance during the Palace's lifetime?

Also, are there any surviving photos of the Railway Colonade? I've only ever seen one, posted, I think, by Falkor and it was a rather unclear aerial shot.

One more thing... Does anyone have historical photos of the Low Level Station? I can't find any!
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I came across this today, not an angle I'd seen before but not sure if it's what you're after? Check the link out loads of interesting archive photos of London

http://londonist.com/2009/01/more_unsee ... =5#gallery

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Interesting - what was the gothic looking building on the left?
Paxton

Post by Paxton »

Ronski, if I'm not mistaken, that's from the 'garden' side, i.e. the side the photos always seem to be taken from. The gothic looking building is a 3/4 scale model of the Canadian Parliament, erected in the park gardens for the Festival of Empire in 1911.

This is one of a huge series of photos taken at the time...

No, what I'm interested in is the parade side.

Thanks, though!
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

The above image comes from the series of postcards by Rotary, I started a thread on STF, link below.

http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... 8cf4#13496

As to images of the Crystal Palace from the parade. The monoply for creating images was held tightly by Negretti and Zambra from 1854 to 1900. These were created for commercial purposes, usually only one image of the Palace would be published, and images of the Palace including the fountains were considered the most representative.

I have three images of the Palace from the 1800's taken from the west/Parade side, and outside of N&Z range, and so by other publishers. I'll have to add them later.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Here's a couple of pictures of Crystal Palace Parade. They can be seen at higher resolution, together with a few others, here:

Paxton

Post by Paxton »

Thanks Terry and Steve.

You must agree that there are far fewer from that angle. It does seem to look fairly messy and tired from that angle after the turn of the century, so maybe that's why.

It occurs to me that there must be a wealth of private photos taken all around the palace that may never see the light of day - stored in attics etc...

Do either of you have any photos of the Railway Colonade or the Low Level Station? I believe that it had a glass canopy until about 1905. I've never seen a photo of the station until 1940 and never come across an promotional material, official photos, paintings etc.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

What do you mean by "messy"
tulse hill terry

Crystal Palace getting a re - paint job, from the Parade.

Another postcard, this one published by W. H. Smith.

Crystal palace Parade, from a postcard published by [Arthur] Talbot. "The Alexandra Series"

Crystal Palace Parade, from a postcard published by Valentine's

tulse hill terry

A bit further left of the first view`, taken from Crystal Palace [Lower level] Railway Station, showing the roof of the Colonnade..

tulse hill terry

will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

another view here;
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Well, those pictures have surprised me!

You normally only see pictures from the back, and it was always my impression that the Crystal Palace was set back from the road by some distance; what a surprise it was to discover it was actually right on the road, and also what an enormous scale it was.

So many of the pictures are taken from a such a distance as to show off the gardens and other features, I've always thought it was quite hard to determine just how imposing the Palace was; these pictures show it clearly.

Interesting to see the picture that shows cars parked at 90 degrees to the curb; judging from the style, that picture wasn't taken very long before the fire.
Paxton

Post by Paxton »

Thanks very much Terry and Steve for a wealth of photos. Have I stumped you with regards to the Lower Level Station?!

It looks as if the colonade led straight to what I believe became the School of Art. Is that correct? The only part of the palace that survived into the 50s, when it was burnt down by vandals.

One further thing: does anyone know the purpose of the building that lies adjacent to the Palace - a two-storey, victorian brick building?

I've never see if before - it's very clear in the photo from the 20s. It doesn't appear on any maps of the palace I've seen.

Any ideas?
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

There are some images on the Subterranea Brittanica site. I have seen some others, which I'll try to find again
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/site ... ndex.shtml
& here;
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stat ... dex1.shtml
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

Ive not seen this before either;
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Paxton wrote:One further thing: does anyone know the purpose of the building that lies adjacent to the Palace - a two-storey, victorian brick building?
Is this the building you mean?

It was near the northern end of the parade, and I believe it was a fire station, although there was also an ambulance station nearby.
Paxton

Post by Paxton »

Hi Steve, yes, that's the one. Makes sense - and you can clearly see a fire engine in your photograph. Where were they on 31st November?! etc...

Since talking about this here, I've found ONE photo of the Lower Level Station in the Crystal Palace Library. It's in a book called 'The Perfect Playground'.

Does anyone have any more? I'm there twice a day find it a fascinating building.

I imagine the original designers must turn in their grave when we enter via a side entrance, turn right, go down a flight of stairs, turn left, over two platforms, turn left, go up a flight of stairs, pass the original entrance on the left, turn right and descend a final flight of stairs...

I think the building was last occupied by The Railway Consultancy Group, although it now seems empty.

It used to have a Roman Catholic chapel somewhere - I wonder if this was for the use of all visitors to the palace or just fare-paying passengers.
Paxton

Post by Paxton »

I spoke and they listened..

Not really, but Bromley council has submitted plans to redevelop Crytal Palace station.

The plans include lifts to the platforms, gutting the victorian ticket hall and re-opening it. Along with losing that 80s bolt-on entrance.

Please, Steve or Terry, do you have any photos of it pre 1940? There must have been loads taken when it was opened. Any info on how to find them similarly appreciated.

thanks
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There were some incredible buildings in the park.

IS there some kind of map showing when they were built and demolished (and why). The colonade looked stunning. Why did that get knocked down?

What a shame!