1911 Census

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Ella

1911 Census

Post by Ella »

Have just looked at the 1911 census and two people living in my house have occupations listed as 'sorter'. Is this someone who worked in the post office? Can anyone enlighten me.
FergussonFamily

Post by FergussonFamily »

Sorry, I can't help you. They were meant to write their "personal occupation" and also the "industry or service with which worker is associated". I'm finding that few people did that, instead they just wrote "employed" which is very unhelpful.

Any idea why the Information Commissioner decided the need to exclude the Infirmity information until 2012?

Though better than the 1901 census, I'm still finding a number of simple, obvious transcription errors, but it is 3x as expensive to check the original, and the only other benefit is the number of dead children column.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

on another thread Barty wrote: Steve do you know by any chance if you can view it free at the National Archives in Kew yet?
Not sure, Barty, but I've just remembered that the Local History Centre said they were going to subscribe to it, so you should be able to go there and use it for free:
http://tinyurl.com/2wxwq5
alanh

Post by alanh »

Census is available free at NA , but terminals can only be booked for an hour, and they are being quite strict on this at the moment. Also 1911 Census not available by subscription till later in the year.

Alan
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The only thing I'd add about the 1911 census is to bear in mind that since then quite a few streets, especially in Sydenham, have changed - for example Wells Park Road was then Wells Road, so you need to search under the name that existed back in 1911. Apologies if a certain analogy involving grandmothers and eggs springs to mind.
davegr

Post by davegr »

I also found that Crystal Palace Park Road is listed as Crystal Palace Pk Rd, so try abbreviations too.
Special Agent

Post by Special Agent »

I can't seem to find my house listed in the 1911 Census - I live in Crystal Palace Park Road but my house number isn't there! I know my house is one of the original ones so I am finding this rather disappointing! I also know the original name of my house before there were numbers, but that isn't listed either! Also, if you look in the 1901 census, there are only 3 houses listed on CPPR. Does anyone know why this might be?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

In the 1901 census most of Crystal Palace Park Road is in the parish of Holy Trinity, Beckenham.

Try searching by record number: RG13/689, folio 186, page 1 takes you to the beginning of the even numbers and RG13/689, folio 189, page 7 to the beginning of the odd nos.
Special Agent

Post by Special Agent »

Thanks Steve, I paid my £5 and managed to find my house after 3-4 tries! It's very interesting to read; my household had 3 member and 4 servants including a bee keeper!!

In the 1911 census my house isn't listed as such, but there are two houses with the same number but different names so I think an error must have occurred with the data entered online - guess I'll have to pay again and view the original documents instead...

Anyway, I'm delighted to know a bit more about the history of my house.

Cheers.
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

FergussonFamily wrote: Any idea why the Information Commissioner decided the need to exclude the Infirmity information until 2012?
It is because they are being strict to the 100 year rule on sensitive information.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Can I now view the 1911 census online? :o
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

Yes but its a tad expensive at the moment, unless you are desperate I would wait a while until it becomes cheaper\available on other sites.
Annie

Post by Annie »

How expensive, do you know?
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

appears to have gone down in price since I last looked so is a bit better

83p to £1.16 for a transcript

£2.50 to £3.48 for an image

can search for free to see if the person exists though and area they are in.
Annie

Post by Annie »

One last question :)

The prices you quoted was it from the N A ?

Thanks for your help.
Barty

Post by Barty »

If N A = National Archives, you can go down there and view 1911 census records and images free.

If you're staying at home and using the internet, the 1911 site has been developed in partnership with the National Archives, and you are charged the prices Konqui quoted to see it.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
Thank you.