County boundaries

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Rebelmc

County boundaries

Post by Rebelmc »

I know this question isn't strictly about Sydenham, but after an hour of fruitless Googling, I can't think of where else to ask.

On another forum that I am a member of, a question has arisen about the location of Crystal Palace speedway track.

For those who don't already know, the track was sited on what is now the Athletics track and operated between 1928 and 1940.

Now I already know that the whole of Crystal Palace park is located within the London Borough of Bromley, as defined in 1965, but, prior to 1965, was the park in London or Kent?

More specifically, when it was in operation, was the speedway track in London or Kent?

Just for clarification, it's always classed as being one of the London tracks, but we are trying to get more technical, or hyper pedantic, if you prefer :lol:

Any info would be gratefully received.
Chris Doran

Post by Chris Doran »

All but a tiny portion of Crystal Palace Park is/was in Penge and Beckenham, both of which were in Kent between 1900 and 1965. According to Lionel Crossley's book, the speedway track actually ran around the then football pitch, where the sports centre building now stands, and into the park round the maze.
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

Theres some footage of the track in 1930 on this movietone film;
http://www.movietone.com/N_search.cfm?A ... PerPage=10
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Chris- Thanks for that, it confirmed what I already thought, that the track was in Kent.

I'm a bit confused by what you say appears in the Lionel Crossley book though; there were two distinct types of motorcycle racing taking place at CP in the early days, racing around the paths within the park (conveniently known as 'path racing') and speedway at the purpose built oval around what was the football ground; Mr Crossley seems to be blurring the two.

Will- Thanks for that, there's precious little film of CP speedway, so it's always nice to see some.

Konqi- That map is of the car racing circuit that was in use until the early 70s, the speedway track would've been within the boundaries of that, approximately in the bottom left corner.

What shows it better are the two pictures you posted on the 'Aerial Views' thread; you can quite clearly see it (it's the left hand of the two ovals, the right hand being a cycle track) complete with it's concrete starting grid and grandstands left over from it's days as the former home of the FA cup final.
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Ah, you mean the site of what was once a lake, and is now the site of the athletics stadium.

Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

That's the one Terry, with that picture taken on or after June 17th 1933, I think.
regoneil

County Boundaries

Post by regoneil »

May I come in on this subject as an old supporter of the Crystal Palace "Dirt track" (Later, "Speedway") Club until it@s move to New Cross and change of name..
My earliest recollections of racing meetings in the grounds were of a road racing circuit for motor cycles around the paths in the grounds, extending up and around the Maze back down around the sports arena and the football ground. This was followed by the introduction of the speedway on a cinder track around the football field (hence the name "dirt track")
I was present at almost every meeting, if I was without the entrance fee of 6d, I, with other school boys, would climb the trees surrounding the stadium to have a free view.
Following the move to New Cross, it was decided to have a motor racing circuit built there and, by a strange coincidence, the "first sod" was dug, with great ceremony on the morning following the disaterous fire.
This circuit was two miles in length and formed an additional loop within the circuit shown in a preceding post. The British Grand Prix was held ther for several years before and after WW2.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Sorry to be a stickler Reg, but I'm afraid the Britsh Grand Prix has never been held at Crystal Palace; the nearest it got was hosting a London GP in 1937 and 38 (both won by Prince 'Bira') and, post war, the British GP has only ever been held at Silverstone, Aintree or Brands Hatch.

However, Crystal Palace does lay claim to having been the venue for the first ever motor race covered live on television, when the BBC televised the International Imperial Trophy race, which was the showdown between Britain's Raymond Mays and the aforementioned Prince, with the winner claiming the 1937 BRDC Gold cup; 'Bira' took the trophy after Mays blew his engine in practice and non started in the event.