crystal palace high level rail walk

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
ALIB

crystal palace high level rail walk

Post by ALIB »

i remember seeing a while back that there was an organised walk from Nunhead to Crystal Palace, following the route of the old high level railway (5m or 8km). Does anyone know whether this is something happening again, or whether there are a few people who would like to walk the route and swap information one day? (obviously there is a pub or two on the route where we could stop to take refreshement)
Will Greenwood has posted many excellent photos thus far which has stirred my curiosity.

Would anyone else be interested?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

that's a big fat 'NO' then
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

I would, AliB.

However, I am very unreliable when committing to dates atm.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I'd be interested in taking part at some point...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

lambchops wrote:I would, AliB.

However, I am very unreliable when committing to dates atm.
Typical bloke...I'm sure there are lots of broken hearts out there LC!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

hahahha...yeah aswathe of them across SE london.

if they promise to wear cowboy boots to bed then i am very reliable!
Ian Bull

Re: crystal palace high level rail walk

Post by Ian Bull »

[quote="ALIB"]i remember seeing a while back that there was an organised walk from Nunhead to Crystal Palace, following the route of the old high level railway (5m or 8km). Does anyone know whether this is something happening again - Will Greenwood has posted many excellent photos thus far which has stirred my curiosity."

Hullo ALIB,

I led that walk. It was very well received and attended. So much so that it's going to be repeated early in 2010. At the moment it's planned for the last weekend in January. It may move to a later date if the Green Chain Walk want to combine it with some form of opening ceremony coinciding with the planting of the signposts.

Meanwhile, can anyone tell me where I can find Will Greenwood's photos?

All the best

Ian Bull
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

Ian Bull

Post by Ian Bull »

Hullo Will,

Thanks very much. I don't suppose you know of any photos of the former transformer station that used to stand between Upper Sydenham station and Paxton tunnel? It fed the main line in Penge tunnel by means of cabling running down one of the ventilation shafts.

Thanks again

Ian
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

Hi Ian
this is the only one I know of, clipped from a series taken from the transmitter in the late 50's I think
you can just see to peckarmans wood tunnel entrance.
hope it helps
Ian Bull

Post by Ian Bull »

Hullo Will.

That's a wonderful photo and yes, it does help very much. Probably the best overall view of the line between the tunnels there could be. Would it be possible to get an enlarged view of that part of the photo?

From the new condition of the flats in the background I presume the date is around the early 60s. As the substation was still standing it's probably fair to assume that it lasted until the construction of High Level Drive. If so, the GLC will have recorded it. When I got some more time I'll try the London Metropolitan archives.

Again thanks very much.

Ian
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

Ian Bull

Post by Ian Bull »

Thanks again Will. I'd like to send a photo I have of the top of the ventilation shaft / cable duct from a 1930s Southern Railway magazine. It's an interesting structure! Alas, I can't work out how to post images here, despite having read the FAQs.

All the best

Ian
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

here is a photo of the upper sydenham shaft, thanks to Ian;