43 Sydenham Hill

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Melvyn Harrison

43 Sydenham Hill

Post by Melvyn Harrison »

As anyone got an image of 43 Sydenham Hill - the home of Capt. Rupert England and his wife Jessica (A/K/A Jessie).

Many thanks
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

This is not very good, Melvyn, but it is the best I can do:
It is enlarged from a poor quality postcard and shows 43 Sydenham Hill (also known as Woodlands) beyond the junction with Crescent Wood Road (hidden by the horse and carriage). You can see a scan of the original card here.

May I ask what your interest in Captain England is? I know that he was the captain of the Nimrod until Shackleton replaced him, and he lived in Catford until the mid-1920s when he moved to Sydenham Hill. Is there anything else I should know about him?
Melvyn Harrison

43 Sydenham Hill

Post by Melvyn Harrison »

Hello Steve

I knew that you would have an image - you are right it is pretty grim but it is certainly an improvement on the nothing I had before!

Yes there is a bit more and is mainly in a Word document on my pc at home.

Captain England has very much fallen off of the local history radar. He was according to the Scott Institute for Polar Research seemingly a 'colleague' of Shackleton but it appears that they had several differences of opinion. My grandmother worked for him and 'Jessie' (a New Zealander) at 43 Sydenham Hill until c1936. I have a letter and a Christmas card from 'Jessie' to my grandmother.

I will let you have the details ASAP.