John Sutton 1795

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
minnie

John Sutton 1795

Post by minnie »

I am looking information on a man named John Sutton who I think was born in Forest Hill Sydenham in 1795ish. He was killed in a duel at Cowes Isle of Wight on December 10th 1817. Is there anyone who could help me with any information about his family and his early life.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Minnie, Forest Hill barely existed at the time you estimate John Sutton was born here. The area was isolated woodland, some distance from Sydenham, until the building of five of houses on a remote corner of the common in 1794. Currently, the earliest use of "Forest Hill" as a name for these houses was in 1797 and none of the earliest families so far traced is called Sutton.

There were several Sydenham families called Sutton. These included John Sutton, who ran a livery stable from the 1790s until the early 1800s at 122 Sydenham Road. This house survives, but is a considerable distance from Forest Hill. There were a couple of other Sutton families in the early 1820s, but nothing to link your John Sutton with them.

Could you tell me your source for his place of birth; this might help to pin him down?
minnie

re John Sutton

Post by minnie »

Dear Steve,
Thank you for your information. The source of my thinking that John Sutton came from Forrest Hills Sydenham is a book called 'Some Records of a Commonwealth Church orthewise known as West Cowes Chappell 1657-1867' by W.D. West Cowes Chappell is now the parish church of St. Mary the Virgin at Cowes on the Isle of Wight.
It says, John Sutton, and I quote " He was not a Cowes man but belonged to Forrest Hill Sydenham Kent, and was buried by the Rev. Wm. Nickson."
I also have a photocopy of what looks to be some sort of guide book which also says that he came from Sydenham. Unfortunately there is now title or date on it so I have no idea where it came from.
All the newspaper reports of the duel that I have been able to find give no details of where he came from or any personal information at all.
Thank you for your help. Minnie.